SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayskats

Have I learned my lesson(s) ?????

kayskats
16 years ago

Okay, I'm testing myself on what I hope I've learned.

This is one of my favorite relishes. I've made it open kettle (complete with the overnight draining and using the drained liquid to make jelly) and I've made it with the changes noted below (loosely based on Ball Blue Book).

Henry Creel's Pepper Hash

Source: Craig Claiborne's NY Times Cookbook (makes about 7 pints)

7 cups ground green bell peppers (12 to 14)

7 cups ground red bell peppers (12 to 14)

1 cup ground onions (2 medium)

4 hot green peppers (optional)

1 quart boiling water

2 cups white vinegar

2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Put peppers and onions through a food chopper, using the coarse blade. Mix in a large non-aluminum container. Add boiling water to cover and ... (Original recipe: let stand 10 minutes. Drain in a bag 8 hours or overnight. Discard the liquid. Add the vinegar, sugar and salt to the peppers. Bring to the boiling point and boil 20 minutes. Pour into hot, sterile jars and seal.)

UPDATE based on Ball Blue Book: Let stand 5 minutes. Drain well, pressing down on vegetables to remove water. Combine sugar, salt and vinegar and add to the peppers. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes. Return to a boil and pack in hot sterile jars and process 10 minutes.

WOULD THESE CHANGES MAKE IT SAFE?????

15 cups coarse chopped vegetables (about 8 green peppers, 7 red peppers, 2 med onion)

3 3/4 cups vinegar (maybe increase sugar, depending on taste)

Can I simmer it for 5 minutes and process for 15?

following is the link for NCHPF recipe ... but if I have to use THAT much vinegar, I guess I'll have to buy McCutcheons which I like almost as well as mine.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/pepper_onion_relish.html

Comments (15)