SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philliph_gw

Zoysia root problems? Grass pulling up like sod

philliph
15 years ago

My Meyer zoysia was sodded exactly one year ago. It has been doing well all year, getting thicker and healthier in appearance. Over the past 3-4 weeks, however, I started noticing scattered dead grass blades mixed in with the healthy blades. If I look under the canopy of the grass, I see alot of dead grass underneath that pulls free easily. Then, I discovered that if I grab the lawn with both hands, it pulls up like sod. Basically, it only seems to be rooted lightly, and it pulls free without a great deal of force. I'm getting worried that I have major problem brewing. This appears to be taking place throughout my entire back yard. Could this be insects of some sort? Grubs or billbugs? I have found a few grubs when I pull up sections of the turf, but not huge amounts.

Thinking back to the summer, the zoysia seemed to need water more frequently than it should have. I usually water on an as-needed basis, it I was always surprised at how quickly it would roll and wilt. I just assumed that the roots hadn't gotten very deep yet.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (5)