SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric2xu

New Lawn old problems

Eric2XU
9 years ago

Hey there, just bought a new home that has been neglected for years. However I finally have a backyard my kid can play in and I want to make it the best lawn on the block. Its standard south Florida Saint Augustine (well what�s left of it) mostly its weeds or nothing.

I wanted to know if someone could help me figure out what I need to do and when. Supplied a combo photo of the lawn. Also can someone tell me what type of lawn it is, is it floratam?

Top left is the shady area (only gets direct sun for 5 hours a day)

Bottom left is what most of the grass looks like, normal amounts of sun, tons of weeds.

Right is around the house where the rainfall hits the ground from the roof of the house.

I should mention the lawn has not been watered in likely a year. Not treated for any pests, nor fungus.

Starting at square one here.

I have been reading I need to put down some weed killer and it needs to be under 85 degrees to do so. So I could do it this Sunday when its going to be 82 for a high.

I also read that it that time of year to drop down anti-fungal, not sure if I need to. Would love to hear from others.

Also should I fertilize?

So there you have it, I have zero experience and I would rather learn this myself then paying alot of money to someone who isnt going to care as much as I do.

What products should I be using for my specific lawn to get going and once things are better what quarterly maintenance should I do?

Names of product would be super helpful. I have a hopper thing that can spread granules around, I also have a sprayer and I don�t mind mixing concentrated stuff. Let me know and thanks in advance!!

Comment (1)