SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy2247

Help! In a dither re: old lawn mowers, searching for new ones!

nancy2247
16 years ago

This is a problem for two ladies in their '60s...we moved here three years ago to a small town in southeastern IL from the big city of Washington, D.C. While there, we lived in an apt. where the mowing services were done for us. We now live in adjourning properties that are about 1 acre in length and 50 feet wide.

My friend inherited the two properties and also her parents' older lawn equipment. She has spent the last 3 years trying to get them to work, purchasing two additional system and now has begun mowing the properties (with my help) to cut down on costs (was paying mowers an average of $70 to $50 each week).

Upon arriving here, she discovered several lawn equipment, two riding lawn mowers (the 2nd does not work), 1 hand held mower, and one gas-powered lawn mower. In addition, she also found a gas-powered tiller, a larger tiller (that does not work).

The properties has a treadous landscape, ranging from underground springs which has caused some areas on the South to be very muddy (she is looking at having the pipes that her father installed many years ago to be rechecked and possibily having French drains put in). Some parts of the land to the North are hilly, has some gullies (dips that are angled at 45 degree angels), and roots surfacing through the soil from trees, etc. Her front lawns (to the West) are rocky due to trees, water pipes put in by the town and lack of soil preservation.

This has caused problems in mowing with different types of mowers.

Last year she purchased a Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower, 22 hp, 42", model 917.27660. She has an older Snapper Comet, then the Lawn Boy, #5253. The Lawn Boy is presently in the shop as the gas does not reach the carb., it is hard to start (she had rotor cuff surgery, I cannot pull much). The Snapper, while it is a good workhorse, has had its problems. The Craftsman is too wide to go to some areas, ie the gullies and the back yard to the house (which has multiple structures, sheds, garages on it).

The hand held mowers (I say "s" is because while her father's mower was there, the wheel broke up), the 2nd one is on loan from a family member but it was made in 1920 and we are unable to mow over to zorsia grass (which the hills have and the front lawn on the East side has).

We looked into various systems...brought a Poulian self-propelled, electrict start mower. We are going to retuirn it as it is hard to turn around (we found out that the features add weight to it) Tonight I mowed a part of the lawn on the East side and realized that it was tearing the ground (the ground is very soft due to the water run offs). My hands were in pain as I was trying to handle this mower.

The best mower for me is the hand held one as it allows me to get to difficult spots but it is heavy and unable to mow over thick grass...it was made in 1920!

The Craftsman works fine but is meant for large spaces. The Snapper is getting along in age but unable to use in the soggy areas on the South side.

We need something that is accessible to problem areas, we need something that can be easy to start and we need some understanding from some of you people out there as how we can find the perfect mower or mowers (considering the variety of conditions we have to deal with).

Would appreciate this much.

thanks, Nancy and friend in IL

Comments (5)