SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim_in_ny

Considering starting over....(bestlawn, turf_toes!)

tim_in_ny
16 years ago

I've called out bestlawn and turf_toes as I feel quite confident in their advice, but i by no means will discredit anyone else's advice, so please....chime in if you feel you can help!

I've spent the better part of my day going back and forth trying to figure out what route I should take my new lawn. You can see i started a new post just yesterday about the current status of my lawn.

Its a new construction home on clay, contractor grade rye/fescue that is over run with weeds and overall just not happy with it. Its a brand new housing track so all of our lawns look the same....I dont want to look like everyone else. I WANT TO BE THE GUY EVERYONE ENVYs!!!

So, ive decided on my seed, i wont get into the seed or where it comes from because I've seen some of these threads get pretty nasty. its from Lesco and its a KBG so I feel confident.

My dilemma is as follows:

I would purchase the round up this weekend and kill off my entire lawn (.80 acres) good news is, I'd also get rid of them weeds in the "back 40." I'm a bit confused after this step, do i let it sit a week? after its dead, do i rake it up? do i let it sit? do I need to cut the lawn as short as possible prior to roundup?

The new seed, would a slit seeder be recommended? or does broadcast work effectivly?

Finally, I'm lacking confidence. I want my lawn to be deep, dark and dense by late spring. Have I not left myself enough time? would it be worth it to do it this year? i dont want to look like the neighborhood jackass. So, if anyone could lend me some confidence I think i'll do it....i'm 95% there, just doubting myself that I'll ruin current lawn and never regain the state I had by next year :(

anywho, please advise if possible!

oh, and can anyone link me specifically to what round-up product I should be using? Do i need to mix in soap?

Comments (4)