SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mynextlawn

Grass seed choice. . . Bestlawn and others

mynextlawn
16 years ago

Bestlawn,

I am considering totally reseeding my front lawn this fall, and from what I have read you are the man to ask for help. I browse some other lawn forums, and have seen where others have been referred to this site for your opinion. In the past I have aerated and overseeded in the fall each year. Most of the time it looks really good in the fall, but begins to fall apart during the next year. I have never been totally happy with the results which might explain why I continued to try new seed (mostly off the shelf from Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart, etc). After reading the advice you have given to others I couldn't resist asking for help myself. I live in the St. Louis area, which is zone 5 according to the chart provided by this website. I understand your expertise is KBG. I see a popular blend is Midnight II/Bedazzled/Moonlight. I do have some trees in the yard, but they are not huge, so I would say the lawn still receives the minimum 4 to 6 hours of sunlight each day. I do not have an automatic irrigation system so I am planning to only tackle the front lawn this year. Would "The Magnificent 3" also be the best option for my area? I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (17)