SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grass_man

bestlawn- another kgb question for pa

grass_man
16 years ago

I Live in Northwest PA and am about a 1/4 mile from Lake Erie. A soil test is in the mail and I am ready to kill the yard/construction site next week, with me looking something like this.

I would like to use the "magnificent 3" but am not sure how much shade my 35' maple gives to the corner of the yard. There are varied trees to the East across the street which allow some direct sunlight early AM and a raised bed minimizes that lawn area. The rest of the yard has > 6 hrs direct sunlight.

I also plan to add 2-3 " of leaf compost due to my soil being sandy/gravely. (I also asked for organic matter content in soil test to be safe). I will be able to water to my hearts content, as my subdivision just went to city water and replaced all of the water mains and house service lines $$$$! Prior watering restrictions were strict. Here is a photo of the offending tree which covers about 10-15% of the front yard.

{{gwi:107110}}

Questions:

1: Will the "Mag 3" tollerate the corner or is there a better choice? I would like to use 100% KGB but am flexible.

2: I think I will need to Rototill in the compost / wait a week/ Kill weeds again. Is 2-3 weeks enough time to settle the soil or should I also roll it (before seeding)?

Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be appreciated.

grASS_man

Comments (7)