SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandonb_gw

Please help with grass choice for lawn in Dallas, TX

brandonb
12 years ago

Hi all-

We moved into our house last year and our lawn looks pretty bad. It's a big mix of weeds, crab grass, and grass (not exactly sure what type). Anyway, I just applied a weed killer (Ortho - the kind that kills St Augustine) and am planning to seed the first of April. I'm having a difficult time deciding what type of grass to plant.

I don't want an award winning lawn. Just something that looks decent, can handle dog/kid traffic, and requires little maintenance (e.g., water, mowing, fertilizing, etc.) I don't want to spend the money on sod, so it's down to seeding. Bermuda was my initial thought as it does well in the heat and I'm not too concerned about flowerbeds, but I only want to mow every 1-2 weeks. It doesn't look like that would work with bermuda. Centipede also looks like a possibility, but I've read that takes months to years to actually grow.

What's my best option? Would bermuda stand a chance if it was only mowed every 2 weeks? What other grasses do well down here in north Texas?

Thanks!

Comments (19)