SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrolltontxlawn

I need help with St Augustine lawn in Dallas!

carrolltontxlawn
13 years ago

Please bear with me as I have a few questions and figured it best to put them all in the same thread and number them to keep track of responses. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to lawn maintenance.

We bought our first house a year ago and I just managed last summer, but want to do it right this summer going forward. I have done some research and have already changed my watering to deep and infrequent and moved the mower to the highest setting. It was on the second highest setting until this week when I finally raised it all the way. I have a couple of issues I was hoping to get sent in the right direction on.

All pictures were taken after mowing. This was my third time to mow on the new system, (1 at highest setting, previous 2 on 2nd highest). Been watering correctly for the same time (3 weeks)

1. General inquiries

a. At times there seems to be a yellowing to the blades. I have read this could be iron deficiency. What is the best way to cure this?

b. What fertilizer should I be using and how often? I have just kicked my weed control company to the curb to save the money and do it correctly.

2. Weed issues

a. In the picture 1 below I show the yard from the street and the tree in question. I believe the plants in picture 2 are just seeds from this tree. Is this correct. They grow really heavy along the sidewalk for some reason and randomly about the yard under the tree (pic 3). Is pulling by hand the only way to get rid of these. The root seems to go far enough in that pulling just seems to break it off at the ground.

{{gwi:101729}}

{{gwi:101730}}

{{gwi:101731}}

b. The next picture (and following closeup) is under another tree on the other side of the yard. What is this stuff? It doesnâÂÂt seem to be spreading to the yard (yet) but popped up this spring.

{{gwi:101732}}

{{gwi:101733}}

3. Brown spots

a. There are brown spots that donâÂÂt seem to be going away/filling in. What is the best way to deal with these? (They are more visible in the picture than standing there, probably something to do with the camera settings.)

{{gwi:101734}}

{{gwi:101735}}

{{gwi:101736}}
4. Bare spots

a. There are two major bare spots in the yard. One is near the tree and I think stays pretty shaded. How do I increase growth in these areas? Is It the shade or just previous owner ignoring the area?

{{gwi:101737}}

{{gwi:101738}}

Comments (2)