SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlembke_gw

KBG Renovation - Compost before Seeding?

rlembke
16 years ago

Hi all. Turf_toes, bestlawn, billhill, and the rest of the regulars here...thank you for your wealth of information. Even when you aren't talking to us directly, us 'lurkers' are gathering a ton of great advice.

A quick question about the process of renovation. Bestlawn has mentioned many times to do the following in this order -

---snip---

Rake up dead stuff

Fertilize

Slit Seed

Topdress with compost, peat, etc

---snip---

How careful do you have to be with the compost/peat when putting it down after slitseeding? My concern is that I have 8k sq ft and if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right. I'd have ~8 cu yrds of compost brought in and wheelbarrow it around the lawn. Would throwing wheelbarrows of compost around and raking/smoothing of the compost disturb the seeds? Is it possible to do this He-Man effort prior to running the slit seeder? I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable muscling the compost around prior to seeding but maybe I'm mistaking the slitseeded seeds as being easily disturbed when they really aren't.

Bestlawn - I didn't want to post a new post just to ask for your advice on KBG seeds because you've been so generous with your time with so many others. That said, if you're already looking here, will the Mag 3 be the best blend for the KC area? I've looked at the NTEP data for Ames IA and Lincoln NE and Moonlight, Blue Velvet and Bedazzled appear to do well. Are there any slight tweaks you would make to the recommendations for our area? I want as dark as possible, I'm full sun in all areas (except right next to the house), and disease/drought tolerant. Disease was an issue this year for some reason (I think it was Summer Patch link). Lots of replacing to do anyway...might as well wipe it all out.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Rob

Comments (30)