SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbig2

KBG renovation day 18, best way to patch

gbig2
16 years ago

So it's day 18 and I have roughly %70 coverage of new grass about an inch high. I'll take pics and maybe a video but not until day 21, I want to see what comes up over the next 3 days.

%30 of my 10,000 sq ft I see no grass at all yet. The areas around the sprinklers are doing really well (these are the areas that I thought were getting too wet, soggy even), but the areas around the perimeter of the lawn are not doing as well.

At what point in a KBG renovation do you say, that's all that's coming up, the seed died, not enough water, etc., so I need to patch? Do I wait another week to day 25 then rake bald spots and re-seed? Our first frost is around October 10.

I'm confused about how to water once I patch...

At this point for the benefit of the grass that did come up I should be cutting down the watering to maybe once a day instead of 3? But if/when I reseed bald spots they will need to be watered at least twice a day. How do you handle the watering when you have inch high new sprouts right next to bald areas, just hand water those bald spots?

If I reseed this weekend at day 21, and continue to water like I was watering from day one (three times a day for 12 minutes), will it hurt the grass that did sprout?

Comments (9)