SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
packemup87_gw

planning fall kbg renovation - help

packemup87
15 years ago

Background:

Just moved into the house and no yard was installed. We live in Northeast WI, near Appleton. We recently had the yard graded & leveled. The landscaper brought in a few loads of topsoil, blended or tilled it in with the existing soil, which is primarily clay. He then planted a mix of KBG, Rye, & Fescue. I have no idea what cultivar each grass is. Also, I have no idea what the breakdown was of the mix the landscaper applied (x% KBG, y% Rye, z% Fescue).

I'm a day late and a dollar short on discovering this forum, but I would really like to plant with a 100% KBG blend. I would like advice from bestlawn or others to suggest a blend. I don't know if the Magnificent 3 would be good for our area. The yard is full sun. I plan to rent a Mataway slit seeder to apply the KBG blend.

Also, since we just had the lawn seeded with the KBG-Rye-Fescue mix, how would you proceed. We don't even have seedlings yet. Would you continue the watering program with the newly planted grass and then apply RU at the time of renovation or would you just stop watering and let the new grass die. Is there any additional prep work I should do prior to the renovation. Also, as far as timing goes, does a RU application on August 2 & 9 sound good, with a target seeding date of August 16. Is August 16 generally a good target for NE Wisconsin? Can I start earlier? I realize if it is unseasonably hot, it may be best to delay. But what is your suggestion based on seasonal averages?

FWIW, we don't have an irrigation system, but the suggestion of buying irrigation system sprinkler heads and attaching them to the sprinkler spikes was excellent. Attaching the Rainbird sprinkler heads to the spikes was priceless and should be recommended to anyone without an irrigation system.

Please let me know if you need any additional info and thanks in advance for any response.

Comments (17)