SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vkolte01

Lawn redoing plan with the Magnificent 3 !

vkolte01
16 years ago

First of all I appreciate everyone's helping nature here. By reading on this forum I have learned a lot. I was hoping to get some guidance from you all on my lawn redoing project.

Here is the history of my lawn so far -

2005 -

Moved into new house in May. Builder sprayed lawn mix in May. Since I did not have any clue about lawn maintenance, by August I had pretty good lawn. I realized what crabgrass is only after my friend pointed out all I had was crabgrass. I started reading about Lawn maintenance. Came across some website and decided to redo my lawn as per the steps given there. I rented a tiller and tilled my front and side yard for couple of days. It was not fun and decided to not till my backyard. Broadcast spreaded Perennial Rye and put down starter fertilizer and mulch. But within couple of days we got some hurricane rain and ended up getting my lawn washed out. Still some grass managed to germinate. But I was devastated

2006 -

Since I had lot of bare spots I pretty much knew I had to reseed in the fall. So did not do much. Again same story. In summer got ton of weeds. By then I had found this forum and came across lot of good stuff. I learned why tilling was not a good choice and what other things I should have done. I really wanted to get it done right this time. I got the sprinkler put in. I also got the soil test done. I was also concerned about my soil. So I got some topsoil delivered and hired a contractor to power rake. I think he did good job of mixing the topsoil into ground. At that time I wanted to put Midnight but the contractor recommended putting Perennial Rye for easy germination. I followed his advice. So we added lime, starter fert, PR seeds, rolled it and put mulch on top of it. Within couple of weeks I saw seeds germinating. I was happy to see the yard filled with lawn.

2007 -

In spring when saw forsythias blooming I put down pre-emergent (Lesco Dimension with slow release fertilizer). In spring lawn thickened little more. Now I see pretty good coverage (especially my backyard) but still far from being good looking lawn. I also saw Red Thread problem. So put down some organic fertilizer(Soyabean meal - 100 lb and Milogranite - 120 lb). I still have the problem but the lawn is looking greener. Earlier I was thinking about overseeding with KBG elite mix but after reading advice from Bestlawn and Turf_toes, I decided to kill the existing PR lawn.

So here I am with some questions -

We live in Connecticut. We have 20 K square feet lawn. Most of the lawn gets at least 4 hour of sun. So I am thinking I have sunny lawn. Based on Bestlawn's recommendations to Morpheus, Ron and Chris I have chosen to put down "The Magnificent 3" (Ron,cool name!)(Midnight2- 40%, Bedazzled - 30 %, Moonlight - 30%) But when I talked to Glenn from Pawnee Buttes Seed today he said they don't carry Midnight II. Earliest they might get that cultivar will be in spring 2008. So I was wondering by going with midnight v/s midnight-2, am I going to loose a lot? Is it worth getting midnight-2 from some other vendor? Am I better off with Award instead?

Should I try to core aerate or slit seed or both ? I read about this in some other posts but sill not sure what to do.

I have also decided to brew compost tea using dchall's process. But I was not sure when exactly I should apply this tea knowing that in a week or so I will be killing the existing lawn and put down new lawn by end of August. Since I will be feeding the soil, will I be better off doing it before killing the lawn or after putting down new lawn or somewhere in between?

Knowing that lawn had had Red Thread disease, how much of organic fertilizer I should be putting down? I also was not sure when exactly I should put it down. Should I put down Corn meal instead of Soyabean meal?

Here are the steps I will be following this fall. Please advice.

July 28 - Round up lawn.

Aug 4 - Round up second round.

August 17,18 - Cut down the lawn as small as possible and bag the dead grass.

August 18,19 - Core aerate

August 18,19 - Slit seed, Add fertilizer

This point onward - keep seed bed moist.

Morpheus, can you please let us know the steps you would be taking during your lawn redoing project after roundup. BTW even I had tough time convincing myself killing existing lawn. But when I saw you decided to kill your lawn it was lot easier.

Sorry for the long post and Thank you all!

Comments (18)