SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup2

Trader Joe's dropped my ginger cookies!

sushipup2
last month

I am so sad! They have dropped my triple ginger cookies, the kind in a tub, displayed over the ice cream. The clerk says it is 'seasonal', but it's been year-round until now. They still have the thin ginger cookies, which are good, but hotter. I can get used to them, but I do so love my ginger cookies.

I have made Annie's grandmother's cookies, but the discontinued ones are closest to those.

I am bummed!

Comments (184)

• bbstx
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Even I saw some today! They had wandered from the freezer section to one of the check-out endcaps.

sushipup2 thanked bbstx
  • lily316
    26 days ago

There were none at my store today because I always look to report back.

sushipup2 thanked lily316
  • Related Discussions

OK, we've talked Costco...what's GREAT at Trader Joes?

Q

Comments (63)
    I love TJs....we don't get wine in grocery stores here so I've never had the $$ chuck...but would love to try it some time. I've been addicted at various times to various things at TJs including their meringue cookies and their chocolate nonpareils. While their cookies are very tasty, I don't find any soft and chewy type. Great selection of chocolates from around the world....can use it like wine tasting. We always shop there for crackers as their selection of whole grain and multi grain is the best. Love their edamame crackers. I also get my whole wheat english muffins there. If any of you, like I, have certain issues, try their 100% cranberry juice. I put just a splash in a tall glass of seltzer and it is amazing. So different from the usual sugary water with some cranberry in it. Lately I've been buying their grass fed beef and it is incredibly flavorful, besides not having any pink slime (bleccch). But whenever I'm baking anything that calls for chocolate, I always buy their belgian chocolate. I make a chocolate lava cake using their dark pounder plus and it is A -MAZ -ING! I recently made Awesome Brownies using their chocolate as well. Excellent! I also buy their lightly salted mixed nuts and get other nuts there for baking and eating. But in our area, TJs prices their bananas by the "each" not "lb". Once I bought one of their chicken sausages that was really good, but since then, i can't seem to buy the right one again....they have several. I've been not happy with their frozen foods but based on your recommendations, will have to try some again. I typically don't eat any frozen prepared foods as I make my own.
    ...See More

Trader Joe's Blue Cheese and Pecan Dip

Q

Comments (29)
    The means of making Gorgonzola are in most cases very similar to making Maytag blue cheese, full fat milk, set with a bacteria, drained salted and inoculated with penicillum roqueforti. Some gorgonzola is inoculated with a different mold. The difference comes in the aging....and know that as all blue cheeses are not the same, certainly neither are all gorgonzolas. I have been to a taste testing of gorgonzola's a mile long...huge differences in sharpness, texture, color and sweetness. If you found one you like, good. But don't eliminate blue cheeses just because you found one too sharp or soapy or bland or crumbly.
    ...See More

Trader Joe's 44 Favorites List

Q

Comments (40)
    This list is so odd. I shop at TJ's almost every week and I buy or like very few of the items on this list! I would be darned if I had to stand in line for 30 min to check out. Since TJ's began in the L.A. area, we have a goodly number of stores. Parking still stinks in most locations, however there are alternative stores and times to shop. Cathy, I'm thrilled that you don't have to drive all the way to Atlanta to find those fun food items!. Good way to make lemonade out of lemons! In addition to some of their produce ( the Kumatos are great!), their pricing on items like Lactaid milk and all dairy products is also very good. We buy cheeses (DH loves their Quatro Fromaggio blend and I use plenty the grated parmesan/romano cheese blend), the dairy products and some juices are definite winners. My grands like Hold the Cones and DH really likes their edamame hummus and their new pomegranate walnut hummus type dip. I buy their green Lindsay olives, marinated and unmarinated artichoke hearts, fresh bruschetta and 3 of their vinegar's. The white balsamic, the small square jar red balsamic and their delicious orange vinegar! Orchids and flowers are definite faves. My dad loved the same ginger thins, but DH prefers the dark chocolate lace cookies. I'm sad that the lost their supplier for meringues. I also discovered a new seltzer drink -- Spindrift Seltzer in grapefruit or raspberry-lime. They are delightful change from the usual sparkling water with lemon or lime. I could go on, but most of the items I like and buy are NOT on that list!
    ...See More

Why should I buy from Trader Joe's?

Q

Comments (86)
    I have never been in a TJ's that had several rows of frozen foods, and we have a few that aren't far from us. I don't think it's a big deal to access the crackers and cookies over the frozen foods. Unfortunately, I am able to easily grab the boxes of Jo-Jo's. ;) The parking lots are always small and awkward! I thought it was just around us because the stores are in urban locations, but I guess not? I think maybe we oversold the whole TJ's experience and you were disappointed, Oakley! I like it for certain things, but to me it's not the greatest store ever. I doubt that I'd go too far out of my way to shop there. Forgot to mention earlier that my kids used to love Nutrigrain bars, and TJ's has their own brand that are basically the same and so much cheaper. That's one of the items I've stocked up on there.
    ...See More
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Oh, I hope they are back for good! I'll check my store tomorrow. Thanks so much. Someone mentioned that they might have been temporarily pull due to some manufacturing/cross contamination concerns. I think the clerks are told to say "seasonal" when a customer asks about the absence of a product, whether that's the case or not.

• lily316
    26 days ago

Some times they have a production delay as happened with my favorite bread but they did tell me exactly when it would be back and it was.

• Ally De
    26 days ago

Good luck Sushi. I completely understand sometimes it is the little things. 😊 May your cookie hunt be successful!

sushipup2 thanked Ally De
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    26 days ago

S-C-O-R-E! Yes, recall issue. But now I have my cookies and I'm happy! TJ's is always a fun thread to have on occasion. Thank you all.

• foodonastump
    26 days ago

Yep, after all these years I found a couple things that have me going back as a result of this thread. Went twice within two weeks, beats my previous record by about 5 years!

sushipup2 thanked foodonastump
  • lily316
    26 days ago

Yes, TJ really gets one hooked on certain favorites. I'm glad yours is back.

• chisue
    25 days ago

I got curious, after reading so many comments about 'fave' grocery stores. I learned that Amazon owns Whole Foods, and that the families that own Aldi's are at least part owners in Trader Joe's. Probably everyone else already knew this!

Today's news is that Amazon is changing their 'no checkout' systems at their grocery stores. I'm not clear on what didn't click with shoppers, but it looks like people wanted more confirmation about what they were paying for items.

sushipup2 thanked chisue
  • Elmer J Fudd
    25 days ago

" that the families that own Aldi's are at least part owners in Trader Joe's. "

Not exactly.

As I understand it, the Aldi company was split to resolve a family dispute many years ago, dividing Germany into Nord and Sud (North and South) territories. They also divvied up countries internationally. Aldi Sud has US territory rights and it's the one that operates Aldi markets in the US. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes, having bought it from the founder in the 1970s.

sushipup2 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • chisue
    24 days ago

Good clarification, Elmer.

The grocery biz must be in the blood of these folks. I've often thought that it's a demanding way to make a living. Just thinking about setting up those weekly ads makes me weak.

sushipup2 thanked chisue
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    24 days ago

There really was a Trader Joe...

sushipup2 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • chloebud
    24 days ago

Joe Coulombe was definitely real. He originally owned several Pronto Markets. He changed the name to Trader Joe’s in the late 1960’S, and the rest is history.

Elmer’s correct; Aldi Nord owns TJ’s which is pretty much run separately from Aldi Sud. I’ve heard the business connection referred to as ”distant cousins.”

The original TJ’s is here in Pasadena. It was their only store in the country when I started shopping there.

sushipup2 thanked chloebud
  • Elmer J Fudd
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

chisue, there's an interesting element to the history of Aldi.

For much of the 20th century and before, fixed retail pricing prevailed in Germany and likely other European countries too. Producers set a fixed retail price for each of their products and by law that was the price that needed to be charged by all retailers. This was also practiced to a certain extent in the US in my younger years of life, especially with electronic entertainment products, and was called "fair trade pricing". Not to be confused with the use of that term today for supporting small farmers in 3rd World countries.

Fixed pricing was a way to protect the viability of small stores - larger stores couldn't drop prices to compete, everyone sold everything at the same price.

The predecessor company to the Albrect family owned Aldis (AL_brect DI_skont, the earlier name) came up with a way to sell groceries at lower prices. They contracted with suppliers to produce private label products, to be sold exclusively by Aldi. In this way, the fixed price rules of larger brands were sidestepped because these unique, one-off products could have their own fixed prices. Aldi could thus offer lower prices for similar but different products compared to those of larger brands.

The Aldi MO has always been to keep its stores small with limited SKU counts to allow them to be more easily 1) managed, and 2) located, real estate procurement- wise. Interestingly, Trader Joe's from the start followed a similar approach.

I'd like to hear from any Brits in the audience - I've experienced a form of fixed pricing for beer in the UK. It seems like getting a pint of beer at a pub costs the same or not much more as buying a pint of the same beer in a store. Or maybe I'm wrong? It encourages the pub culture by making drinking in a commercial facility no more expensive than doing the same at home.

• Elmer J Fudd
    24 days ago

" The original TJ’s is here in Pasadena. It was their only store in the country when I started shopping there. "

I'd moved north when my parents first heard of this store and started driving there from Santa Monica to enjoy the unique products. I think before long one opened in the SF Valley, a shorter drive but still a longer hike than one usually makes to get groceries.

I do remember that on one of my periodic visits to LA, an afternoon was spent taking me to this unique TJ operation to see for myself what was going on. I bought a bag full of non-perishables and I was hooked after that. I'm not sure of the dates involved but it was some years before TJ opened in the SF Bay area. Before then, I had a habit of making TJ trips when visiting SoCal to buy things to bring home.

• lily316
    24 days ago

Since my Aldi and Traders are a 1/4 mile away from each other and 1/2 mile from me, I shop both every Monday. I've known the history of the German brothers, and Aldi is more bare-bones but a few similarities appear like the Everything bagel seasoning at both stores. Aldi has the better produce and better prices on them but that and salmon are what I buy there. Husband likes their German soups and brioche rolls. I grab a box and there are always many, and box my stuff as I'm checked out. Traders of course has friendly cashiers who bag your items. Courteousness and friendliness are what Traders is. Aldi's people are nice and helpful too but no comparison to Traders. Aldi doesn't have a wide variety of products that come and go to tantalize you. Traders is the only store I love and look forward to going to every week. It's a treasure hunt. Great marketing on their side or weakness on mine that I fall for almost all of it. And don't mention their wonderful plants and cut flowers which I always buy.

• chloebud
    24 days ago

Elmer, it’s interesting to think back to shopping at that TJ’s in Pasadena. ”Unique TJ operation” was about right.

I wasn’t sure and checked…looks like TJ’s expansion to NoCal was 1988, then out of state (AZ) in 1993.

• Elmer J Fudd
    24 days ago

Yes, the two are different. There are no Aldi stores in Norcal (yet) but I've known them from Europe and elsewhere. And in more recent years, from its locations in SoCal.

Aldi has a deliberately obvious frugal way of operating that sets it apart from other stores, it's their intentional display of pinching every penny to give the lowest possible prices. Put a coin in the shopping cart to use it and then return it yourself to get your money back (so that no employee needs to spend time doing it), bag your own purchase (same reason), product put onto shelves by just cutting open the box to save time, minimal number of employees present at any one time. Etc, as you know.

Traders wants its employees to be intentionally quirky and often mirthful, that's its consistent vibe.

• Judi
    24 days ago

I finally shopped at Aldi's. Three visits in the past 3 months. I'm not real impressed. There are a few things I like, but quite frankly it's not worth the 8 mile drive unless I'm going to be in the area for other shopping. OTOH, I shop TJ's weekly. Love that store!

sushipup2 thanked Judi
  • chloebud
    24 days ago

We have two Aldi’s very close by (1 mile and 4 miles). I’ve probably been there 4 times in 6 years. Just haven’t seen much that impressed.

“Traders wants its employees to be intentionally quirky and often mirthful, that's its consistent vibe.”

Definitely. I have many examples of their outstanding customer service. Well beyond the call of duty, for sure.

• lily316
    24 days ago

Hands down Aldi wins produce. 59 cent avocados vs $1.59 at Traders and even more if you want organic. I buy all fruit there but potatoes and veggies at Traders. My bill at Traders is at least triple, usually more than at Aldi. Traders people will run themselves ragged looking for something if you ask even going out to their truck being unloaded. Their bread is the best I have ever had. As for customers, there are four times the people at Traders but we do have another brand-new Aldi five miles away. But people travel hours to get to our TJs so I am indeed lucky to be able to walk to mine(if I could dodge traffic)

• Elmer J Fudd
    24 days ago

We were "introduced" to Aldi's, if that's the right word, when the pandemic first hit in 2020. We were in SoCal and must have been asleep at the switch when store shelves got emptied of essentials with all the panic buying. And remained relatively empty for a time.

We searched for alternatives and other than a few restaurants that were selling retail to people from stock they could get from their commercial supply chains, the pickins were slim. This in a relatively populated suburban-type area.

The exception - Aldi. Its procurement sources, which I guess with so many private label items put it a bit separate and apart from the regular grocery chains, continued to function. Everything that seemed to be unavailable from normal sources (and in SoCal, the supermarkets are here, there and everywhere) we could get at Aldi.

We don't necessarily need to be concerned about grocery prices but as with Lily's avocado price example, when something costs half as much or less at Aldi and is as good or better as elsewhere, it's not inconvenient to make a second stop a block away from where we were going anyway. Small stores, in and out quickly.

Or, as with TJ, unique items. like many of their Deutsche Kueche (German cuisine) products and seasonal German items. Its produce is really quite good. My wife appreciates that many veggies, green onions come to mind as an example, are individually packaged. TJ may do that for some items too.

• jill302
    24 days ago

Also from So Cal. Keep hearing good things about Aldi but it has not done much for me, despite visiting a number of times, trying to figure out what I am missing. A few house brand items that I tried were okay, others were ”meh” and the three things I actually thought were good they discontinued. I have not done a direct comparison between Aldi and Trader Joe’s, as Trader’s is not my main store. Also, Aldo is triple the distance of Trader’s or the other stores that I use most often, so that likely plays into my lack of interest in shopping at Aldi.

• Olychick
    23 days ago

Wow, sushipup, that really disappoints me. I don't buy many of those types of products but I really feel for the small producers if they are losing out to TJ's who could be helping instead of hurting them.

sushipup2 thanked Olychick
  • Elmer J Fudd
    23 days ago

That's a very naive comment. To help you understand, assume the following companies are the first to produce each of these named products:

Lipton - tea bags

Green Giant - canned corn

Heinz - tomato ketchup or catsup (spelling doesn't matter)

Del Monte - fruit cocktail

Morton - salt

Et cetera

Following your reasoning, each of these products should be the one and only one and should come from only one source. Silly and of course that isn't the case. Every generic or store label product is a version of something another company makes. And usually with a cheaper price, so that the consumer benefits. Are you still upset and think only higher priced products should be allowed?

• Suzieque
    23 days ago

I can't believe that there are 160 comments (now 161) on a post about ginger cookies! LoL. I love how this conversation has continued and evolved, just like IRL.

sushipup2 thanked Suzieque
  • btydrvn
    18 days ago

I too …vote for Trader Joe’s..ginger cookies ..frozen foods ..fresh veggies…drinks…but especially packaging smaller amounts of everything…(never mind I like that their stores are not gigantic)….since we are a retired couple …..we don’t buy big amounts of any thing…so we can have more variety as well as less waste…

but just like everywhere else there are some things we don’t buy @TJ’s…..Whole Foods is good but overly expensive IMO…and not because we can’t afford it🤷🏻‍♀️…it just feels wrong to me to come out of any store with a tiny bag of groceries costing $50🙄..

Tho’ I was not aware of any change at Whole Foods as we dont really have one near us..I do stop and check it out if we happen to be near one…because I do admire their goal of good quality food..and have a few favorites that I like there…in the same spirit that my hubby likes to support local wineries and brewers..in the Calistoga area where our summer home is

sushipup2 thanked btydrvn
  • foodonastump
    18 days ago

I wish they’d offer BIGGER packaging of peanut butter! Perhaps a little lower unit price and less plastic?

• Olychick
    18 days ago

Less plastic, for sure. Tho they are switching to some more eco friendly packaging, which I appreciate. I do like the smaller sizes of most things for small families and singles.

• Elmer J Fudd
    18 days ago

You have a summer house in Calistoga? People who live in Calistoga who have the means to have a second house don't typically spend their summers in Calistoga, opting instead for areas that aren't so hot.

For food items on shelves and freezers, take a gander next time your in Whole Foods at its house brand, 365. Excellent products at excellent prices.

• chloebud
    18 days ago

sushipup, I was at TJ’s on Sunday and they had plenty tubs of your ginger cookies.

We also stopped at Aldi after DH suggested we check it again. They had ONE checker open (TJ’s had NINE)...on a weekend! Obviously one checker meant a longer line, even though they weren’t very busy. We roamed around and left.

• foodonastump
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Tho they are switching to some more eco friendly packaging, which I appreciate.

PSA - If you’re looking to repurpose the PB jars, do not put them in the DW. I had saved up a few for screw storage, and when I went to screw on the caps they slid right over the jars. They all shrank in the wash. Argh! Off to “recycling” they go. (In quotes because I have little confidence that’s where they end up.)

PB related - My wife and I have grown totally used to this gritty, sticky product. When we’re out, I’m heading to TJ’s rather than the open jar of Jiff in the cabinet. It’s becoming an expensive snack!

• Judi
    17 days ago

We also stopped at Aldi after DH suggested we check it again. They had ONE checker open (TJ’s had NINE)...on a weekend! Obviously one checker meant a longer line, even though they weren’t very busy.

Your Aldi's doesn't have self checkout?

sushipup2 thanked Judi
  • chloebud
    16 days ago

Judi, no self checkout and one checker open. I’d be interested in their logic.🤷‍♀️

I was at Sprouts not long ago. They do have self checkout but I couldn’t get a couple items to scan after trying two different machines. I finally went to a checker, and again with only one checker opened. The customer in front of me had two carts of items she wanted rung up separately. The wait was ridiculous. I do like Sprouts and shop there often, but their lines can be long for both self checkout and checkers. TJ’s doesn’t have self checkout, at least any I’ve ever been to. I’m guessing it’s not something they’ll do. I never have to wait long there. There might be a couple people in front of me, but that’s when I get a tap on my shoulder from someone directing me to his/her check stand. They’ve just got it together…and always have.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    16 days ago

That's unusual for Aldi - I'm wondering if it wasn't a staffing issue?

Ours here have self checkout in the stores where I shop, but not sure about all of them. I just got back from a stop at the newest one here, and they have 1 cashier lane that's always open, and maybe 8 self checkouts.

Their cashiers are famously super speedy. I never liked using that lane because they would always be done so fast, I felt like I was holding up the line to pay, so I was very glad when some of the stores started providing self checkout.

• Olychick
    16 days ago

FOAS, I don't buy TJ pnut butter because it's packaged in plastic. As long as I can buy organic, unsalted pnut butter in glass, I'll keep doing that. My food co-op has several brands still packaged in glass.

• lily316
    16 days ago

I have never waited more than a minute at Traders. Our Aldi only has one checker now and the rest are self check and there are maybe six. I am in and out of Aldi in a matter of minutes. This last time ...three. Traders is a different story. I like browsing there and all the checkers in the over 100 times I've been there have been nice except one. At my super grocery store. , I scan stuff as I put in my cart and then the whole thing rings up in a second. Never a wait in that store.

• Feathers11
    16 days ago

I have 5 Aldi's within about 5 miles. One of the stores does not have self-checkout, and usually has just one cashier. I avoid that store.

I love my Trader Joe's store, which I've been shopping for 20 years. I have so many fun stories about the employees there. But I'm holding a serious grudge that they discontinued the blue cheese roasted pecan dip.

sushipup2 thanked Feathers11
  • deegw
    16 days ago

Our Aldi has no self-checkout and often has just one cashier and long lines.

Our TJs is always packed but the cash registers are well-staffed so I can't complain about them ignoring the lines.

sushipup2 thanked deegw
  • Bunny
    16 days ago

I love TJ's unsalted crunchy peanut butter. Lines are generally fast.

sushipup2 thanked Bunny
  • chloebud
    16 days ago

One of my favorite TJ’s customer service stories, somewhat abbreviated. My elderly step father realized he’d left his wallet at home as they were bagging his groceries. Checker told him no worries and let him go without paying. My mom went back the next day to pay and they wouldn’t accept it from her. Pretty nice in my book!

• Olychick
    16 days ago

chloebud, not as extreme, but in a similar vein, I shopped and had a largish cold bag that I filled instead of a cart. They emptied and scanned the groceries and placed them back in the bag. When I emptied it at home, I found something in the small outside zippered section that I'd forgotten I stuck there, which hadn't been scanned. I took it back when I visited the next time and they wouldn't let me pay for it either! I've complained about things that spoiled too fast or were bad when opened, without returning it to the store and they always do a refund. I bought a cello bag of Brussels sprouts at Christmas that was so foul, I could smell it in my car on the way home, I returned it the next day and the small group of workers at the manager's desk all commented that they could smell them before I even got them out of the bag...they are always so apologetic when things are wrong!

• lily316
    16 days ago

I go to the Aldi 1/2 mile from my house where this just changed to only one checker but have six scan your own. This was a store that was enlarged a few years ago. Four miles down the highway there is a large new one built from scratch a few years ago. We went to that one when ours was being remodeled but it's basically the same only larger with more checkers.

• chloebud
    15 days ago

“I took it back when I visited the next time and they wouldn't let me pay for it either!”

Olychick, that’s happened to me there, too. Most recently with wine and tulips. I also remember buying one of those plastic containers of cherry tomatoes. The checker noticed one of the corners wasn’t snapped closed all the way. Someone got another one, and they put both containers in my bag charging for one. That’s just how they roll.

• lily316
    15 days ago

They just hire the nicest people. I wonder if there's a test. They go out of their way to please.

• chloebud
    15 days ago

I found the following online, FWIW. My niece used to work at an extremely busy TJ’s in San Francisco. She said her training focused very heavily on customer service. The length of training might depend on store location.

New Trader Joe’s employees don’t rush to start working right away, but get at least a day’s worth of training from introductory videos and one-on-one sessions with managers, or “mates.” As well as going over the basics of treating customers well, they reportedly also cover small but crucial skills like properly bagging groceries.

Store managers are expected to go even further by attending TJ University, which runs two-day classes focused on leadership and team building skills that can apply in running the store and beyond.

Even beyond their initial hiring or promotion, employees still stay informed about Trader Joe’s latest offerings. Before (and hopefully after) the current pandemic, stores held regular tasting panels for crew members to sample new food and wine products before they reached the shelves, all the better to answer customers’ questions and advise their shopping.

“They don’t want us to recommend new products just for the sake of it,” says the Seattle-area employee. “They want us to actually try it, and if we like it, we can say that confidently, but if we don’t like it, they want us to be honest.”

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    15 days ago

I recall reading an article about their hiring practices that explained the qualities they look for in potential employees - big ones being extroversion and positivity.

• Judi
    15 days ago

My opinion of Aldi gets worse every day. There have been a number of threads on their Aisle of Shame Facebook page dealing with the rubber mulch they sell. By far, the majority are negative. And for good reason; that's some nasty stuff! Threads are often closed by moderation and some of the more truthful posts are deleted.

sushipup2 thanked Judi