SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

OK, we've talked Costco...what's GREAT at Trader Joes?

melissastar
11 years ago

Headed their shortly and wondering what other folks have found to be great quality and our great buys at TJs?

I typically buy wine, raclette cheese (1/3 the price at Whole Foods), canned marinara sauce, meringue cookies,

dried fruits and lara bars. What else is yummy or convenient or cheap?

Comments (63)

• stei7141
    11 years ago

We like their frozen fruit, especially the berry blends and mango chunks; frozen tri-color pepper strips; frozen roasted corn and frozen roasted peppers and onions; chipotle salsa (we can't live without it); most of the bread products, including the California Style Complete Protein bread and whole wheat pita; the fresh pizza dough at 99 cents!!; fruit and nut blends; canned, salt-free tomato products; organic low sodium chicken broth; mango sorbet; and on and on. To say I love the store is an understatement. My husband even got me the book on Trader Joe's for my birthday a few years ago. It may be that I have a Trader Joe's problem . . . .

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Their Mediterranean Hummus is the best I've ever had. Drooling just thinking about it. Yum!

• Related Discussions

A Trader Joes favorites list

Q

Comments (49)
    Speaking of brownies... I always loved the Ghiradelli brownie mix (never made them but had them at a neighbor's house and asked her for recipe since they were so good and she told me they were this mix). Anyway, it turns out that I always liked boxed brownies better than my own because they were chewier and I love a chewy brownie. Then one day I came across this (link below). Cooks Illustrated set out to figure out why boxed brownies were better than home made and this recipe is what came out of that. If you like chewy brownies, these are really, really good. I was so excited to find this because first I don't use boxed stuff for baking. Always make from scratch. And, second the Ghiradelli mix has articifial ingredients so even if I was going to buy one, it couldn't be that one. Sorry for the hijcak, but you got me thinking about brownies. Here is a link that might be useful: Chewy Brownies
    ...See More

Trader Joes Finally!!!

Q

Comments (61)
    Peppi, a new Aldi's just went in about 30 miles from here, I like shopping there a lot. Elery went there yesterday and bought avocados, so far all the produce has been from the USA. I like that I can get Dubliner cheese there in small amounts and the kids like their snacks, about half the price of Meijer or our local Evil Empire. However, Mother bought something called "Winking Owl" wine. Why? Because Mother thinks owls are cute, LOL. She said the wine was possibly the worst she'd ever had. I asked her what she expected for $2.99. (grin) If I lived in Chicago and had your shopping available I probably wouldn't be that impressed with TJs either, but with no Trader Joe's, no Whole Foods, no Wegman's, few specialty stores, well, TJs is a fun stop. Annie
    ...See More

OK...another memory quiz

Q

Comments (11)
    25. Joe's regular visitor at the bar was Crazy Googenhiem. 17. That "adult" book by Henry Miller was called Tropic of Cancer. (Today,it would hardly rate a PG-13 rating.) Joe's regular visitor at the bar was Crazy Googenhiem. The "Age of Aquarius" was brought into the mainstream in the Broadway musical "Hair". These are the ones I missed. I think these are all late 60s. What fun! brings back lots of memories. Thanks.
    ...See More

Well, I went to Trader Joe's....

Q

Comments (19)
    I'm really not surprised. This is how many people will find TJ to be when they give an unbiased look at it. It's good for some and bad for others as I've said in the other threads. I gotta chuckle at those posts saying a store was dirty one time so they condemn the entire chain! It's hardly fair to condemn an entire chain for a bad experience or two in one store. Every store is going to be dirty at some time or another, it's going to depend on the management as to how often it's that way. I've been to clean Aldi (and BTW, there's no "s" in the name, it's short for Albrecht Distributing) stores and dirty ones. I've had good experiences and bad experiences in most every chain. It's the way it is. Aldi and Trader Joe have the same basic concept and not surprising since they're both owned by the Albrechts family. Aldi was started from one family owned grocery store and two brothers grew it to an international success, then split up when they couldn't agree whether to sell cigarettes. They divided up the world but still worked together for distribution and acquisition benefits. TJ is part of the one brother's Trust. Their joint concept was and is to keep costs low, then sell high volume of a limited number of items. They sell very few brand-name items, usually only if they get a great deal on them, otherwise it's far cheaper to sell your own brand name. They also do limited advertising. TJ is essentially the yuppie version of Aldi. Neither will generally serve all your shopping needs unless perhaps you only eat tv dinners. It's really curious how some people get SO defensive over a store of all things! Or how some can actually worship a store! I'm reminded of when "grouchy" went nuts in another thread about a big chain... LOL Geez people, it's a STORE fer cryin out loud!
    ...See More
  • carybk
    11 years ago

Nitrate-free meats.

Dips/spreads-- eggplant garlic, roasted red pepper, etc. Not cheap but so good.

Their organic mac anc cheese is much cheaper than at our grocery store.

• rosie
    11 years ago

We're too far away to keep up on their rotations (used to live 3 blocks from one, sigh), but some of the longer-term items I have our DIL pick up for us are the

Tart de Alsace (slice up for fast, no-fuss appetizer)
    Green chile and cheese tamales (perfect for dressing up or a side)
    Brown rice medley (includes daikon radish seed and black barley))
    Joe's canned cherrystone clams (we're far inland, great being relative for us)
    and of course, three-buck (here) chuck, also great relatively speaking.

• home4all6
    11 years ago

the frozen chocolate croissants are my fave--you let them rise overnight and bake in the morning--soooo good!! The apricot cheese and the jarred spaghetti sauce, and much of the baked goods. Must go there now...

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I buy most of my basics here. For many years this was about the only place I shopped. You have to look a the calories and fat if you buy the processed food, but at least you know that it's not Con Agra junk.

I buy meat, all dairy, some produce (not all of it is good), tuna in olive oil for pasta, cherrystone clams, lots of wine, lots of Zonin prosecco, hummus, organic pasta, maple syrup, frozen garlic and basil in case of emergencies...and then I treat myself to the frozen chocolate croissants that rise overnight!

I don't, however, like any of their coffee or "2Buck Chuck".

• BalTra
    11 years ago

Love TJ's sugar - free all fruit berry jams.

I've bought spoiled milk and yogurt there so many times I don't bother with any of the dairy products there.

Wines are super! But not for sale at Maryland TJ's due to the Blue Laws. Too bad!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm close to two and couldn't manage without TJ. I concur with most of what's already been listed, plus a few others:

Unsalted (yes, unsalted) peanut butter
    English cheddars
    1/2 & 1/2 (can't beat the price)
    Bushmills (ditto)
    French roast coffee (whole bean)
    Dried cranberries
    Pecan/cranberry/rosemary combo (sprinkle on salads or just eat plain, divine)
    TJ soy milk, esp. chocolate
    Tofu edamame nuggets (don't laugh till you've tried 'em)
    Smoked trout in oil (my personal favorite)

• melissastar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Baltra: Yes, I really miss the wine at the Maryland Costco. Whenever I visit friends back in my old stomping ground of Arlington, VA., a stop at that Costco is a must!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

The first one in our area opens soon, can't wait to try it out!

• repac
    11 years ago

Nuts . . . cashews, almonds, wasabi almonds, sesame honey cashews; all high quality, and a great buy. Smoked salmon is the best. Kalamata olive oil is fabulous. Their woven wheat and multigrain entertainment crackers are a staple in our house. Fresh mushrooms--all kinds--are great, other veggies and fruit are good but you have to eat them quickly (they're usually at the peak of ripeness). They also have a good variety of veggie/vegan items for my vegan daughter, all high quality. Trader Joe's is closer than any large supermarket for me, so I find that I go there more often than anywhere else. I was surprised that someone commented on spoiled milk and yogurt. I have bought that frequently there and have never had a problem with them over many years. Also, TJs will refund your $$ for anything that you're not satisfied with. What a wonderful neighborhood store.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

melissastar - I was happy to read that you buy raclette cheese there. I just found a raclette grill and haven't been able to locate the cheese anywhere.

All of the things listed here sound yummy. A TJ opened in Louisville recently and I haven't made the hour+ trek yet. Guess it's time for a road trip!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ditto to all the above plus
    - the all natural, no sugar, no salt added chunky peanut butter
    - TJ organic, fair trade wake up blend coffee beans
    - TJ non fat Greek yogurt
    - nuts (cheaper than Costco)
    - brown rice wraps
    - sublingual b12, 6, folic acid
    - organic milk / dairy products
    - FREE fresh coffee w 1/2 & 1/2 ALL the time! :-)

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

wine!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Anna, I'm in love with the unsalted crunchy peanut butter. I eat more of it by the spoonful than spread on anything.

The nuts are the best buy anywhere. I made some baklava for the first time and needed pistachios and pecans, both toasted. TJ has them!

• krkahn
    11 years ago

I love their tempting trail mix, chocolate banana muffins and definitely the pub cheese. I use the spicy one with some shredded chicken for dip for parties sometimes.

• dretutz
    11 years ago

Greek yogurt
    Tuna packed in water (blue can)
    pineapple salsa
    fresh wild salmon
    whole wheat sourdough bread (sliced for sandwiches)
    sweet potato fries (frozen)
    frozen halibut
    peanut butter dog biscuits
    In So. Cal, our produce at TJ is fresh.

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

Williamsem, you are in for a treat. We had one open just a few months ago near us. I had no experience with them until then. I'm still overwhelmed by all the different foods they have and the company really seems to care about where their food comes from and who makes it. They have stuff you won't find anywhere else and I have yet to eat something I could not finish.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Linelle, a new jar of TJ peanut butter gets packed in my suitcase whenever I travel. Yes, it's a daily staple! :-)

• nineteenoeight
    11 years ago

Pastures of Eden feta (from Israel)
    Unbelievably creamy and delicious

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Candy cane Joe Joes. Only available near Christmas, but on par with good sex. They are THAT good.

A lot of the stuff already mentioned and .. I'm ashamed to admit it ... But their frozen jasmine rice is really good :)

• slonewby
    11 years ago

Favorites:
    Most all of their organic items are a hit...one exception is the peanut butter. It used to be great but they changed it.

Frozen potatoes w/ bell pepper and onion
    Frozen potatoes with harcorts
    Shredded Parmesan cheese
    precooked bacon w/ no nitrites
    dark chocolate covered joe-joes (only available around Christmas but OH, so worth it!
    Pumpkin pancake mix
    Gummy penguins

Things we don't like
    they have the WORST cream cheese Ever.
    Don't care for some of their cookies...the soft almond ones almost made me throw up (sorry)

We do ALOT of shopping at Joe's ...love the store, love most of the products. Makes buying organic affordable for the most part

• blubird
    11 years ago

Funny, I was just there today....again!

We love the:

dark chocolate covered almonds
    Chickenless Mandarin orange chicken
    Japanese Edamame Rice
    Tempura Chicken
    Shakespearean Rice
    Chocolate covered Dunkers
    Peanut Butter Dog Cookies
    Half and Half
    Croissants - any!

and Christmastime - we love those dark chocolate covered star cookies! Great for gifts, too.

Helene

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Didn't see anyone post about their spreads like hummus, cheese(all kinds are cheaper than anywhere especially Brie), but my fav is the bruchetta:) awesome on toasted bread slices with goat cheese, yum!

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

We have a TJ's 3 blocks from our house so I'm there every week.

Our favs:

Peanut butter pretzels
    Salsa authentica
    Sweet potato fries
    Reduced guilt tortilla chips
    Organic pasta
    Vodka sauce
    Toasted coconut cookies
    Fleur de sel caramels (used to be at Christmas only, but they had them last week)
    Nuts
    Their special olive oil they sell only in the fall
    Dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds
    New York style cheesecake
    String cheese and cheddar sticks
    Organic baby spinach in the bag
    Organic arugula and most other greens in the bag
    Broccoli slaw
    Pearl/grape tomatoes
    Shredded carrots

• sas95
    11 years ago

I don't like any of the TJ's prepared products. Most are way too salty for me, but we generally don't do processed foods or foods with sugar. We regularly buy dairy, frozen fruits and veggies there. Also cereal, sandwich bread and olive oil, and occasionally whole chicken or chicken breasts. They do have a good selection of healthy cereals.

I like the store, but for a limited selection of items, but I think I go there as often as I do because it's really close to my house. If it were not, I doubt I'd make the trip on a regular basis. I know I'm in the minority on this one. Everyone I know buys more there than I do.

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

My first year out of college, I rented a studio apartment directly across the street from trader joes in Coolidge corner in Brookline mass. So as a single 21 year old, you might imagine I was there a lot. I think I lived on tasty bite that year!

They don't allow Tjs to sell liquor in my state - boo! But when I spent a few months in Albuquerque, they had a really nice selection of beer.

There isnt one particularly convenient for me right now, but I do go there occasionally to stock up on sesame peanut salad dressing (DH favorite), reduced guilt spinach yogurt dip, and crackers and pita chips.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Oh, Oh, the Candy Cane Joe Joes at Christmas! If you've never had to hide cookies at your house, these will make you do it. Just unbelievable, and get them early cause they always sell out. I buy them for all my neighbors and get lots of big smiles.

• home4all6
    11 years ago

2 more things I wanted to mention.

. 1. TJ's had the BEST service when I was Preggo with the twins and needed to get anything from the grocery store, I would go there because the employees would see me waddle in with my other 2 kids and literally run around the store to grab what I needed. As well as a treat for my kids. That was probably one of the most helpful and meaningful experiences of my pregnany that I will always remember and remain loyal to them for. I KNOW that would never happen at any other grocery in my area, and walking those huge aisles to get to the milk in the back was nearly impossible for me with the issues I was having.

2. I believe trader joes and Aldi are part of the same company? I think we might need al aldi thred next :) the only thing we get at aldi are the giant Swiss chocolate bars, which my dh loves for some reason?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Balsamic vinegar in the little square bottle
    Trader Jose's lager

Friendly, helpful staff, without being patronizing. Parking is easy. I like the other shoppers, unlike some you run into at Whole Foods. ;-)

• kiffgirl
    11 years ago

The Spinach and Kale Dip in Greek yogurt is fantastic. I use it to make tuna salad instead of mayo and top baked potatoes with it instead of butter or sour cream. Yum.

We also get the Gluten-free oats and all of our nuts there.

• mjtx2
    11 years ago

Best price on Manchego cheese anywhere - fantastic taste, too. I got a great turkey there last year for Thanksgiving. And I've hosted large parties entirely with TJ. They have a great prosecco for like $8 - not too sweet, not too dry. The ladies loved it.

And the best newsletter ever. I love when it comes in the mail. Don't laugh until you've tried it. It's wildly entertaining.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

We make a monthly or bi-monthly run to TJ's. I find here in NYC their prices are sometimes half of what we pay in other super markets. We don't buy a lot of their prepared foods, but we do buy items to stock our freezer and pantry. I love that there is only ONE choice (don't have to think/comparison shop with my toddler in tow) and it's all organic!

- nuts, dried fruits, seeds
    - frozen fruits (mango, berries, etc) and veggies (corn, peas, peppers, etc.)
    - canned beans, tomatoes, olives, capers
    - pasta and grains (couscous, quinoa, etc.)
    - baking needs (sugar, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, etc.)
    - spices (sea salt, pepper, oregano, etc. - not a huge variety but they do stock some staples)
    - tofu
    - teas
    - cheeses
    - hummus
    - wraps/pita/mini bagels
    - nut/seed butters (almond, cashew, sunflower seed, etc.)

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

Lobster ravioli.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I love T.J.'s. Lots of great suggestions above and since I didn't read through everything (sorry) I'll add that if you or someone you cook for needs to be gluten-free, they are very helpful. A close friend of mine has Celiac and I've been abble to make full dinners, appetizers to desserts, very easily without gluten. Ask them for their gluten free list or download from their website -- there's a ton of stuff (including chips and crackers) and it all tastes good.

Absolutely agree on the friendly staff. I've had great recommendations for everything from wine to chocolate for bread pudding.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

I've never been there either, although there's one about an hour from me. I've gotta get out more!!

• shappy
    11 years ago

Five seed almond bars

• marcolo
    11 years ago

sas95, I agree with you. It's fun to stop in once in a while, but there is very little there to purchase, due to the fact I cook my own food.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

ground almond-almond flour,-
    white balsamic vinegar,- Baker Josef's flour(high protein compares to king arthur),-
    wine, -spinach salad with nuts, cranberries, cheese,- cheeses,- low fat coconut milk for Thai inspired food,- curry sauces in a jar- and try their spices, very fresh-chocolate chips are great tasting---and just bought 9 boxes of crackery, snackery things for dd and pal to eat on their 2 day road trip back to school in the western u.s.--- and nuts

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

We have our first TJ's in CO opening next year--one in Boulder and the other in Cherry Creek. Probably won't shop there often as Boulder is an hour from me and CC is 45 minutes and a lot of crappy traffic. However, due to all your wonderful reviews, I'll definitely have to give them a try. Thanks for all the tasty suggestions!

• westsider40
    11 years ago

ground almond-almond flour,-
    white balsamic vinegar,- Baker Josef's flour(high protein compares to king arthur),-
    wine, -spinach salad with nuts, cranberries, cheese,- cheeses,- low fat coconut milk for Thai inspired food,- curry sauces in a jar- and try their spices, very fresh-chocolate chips are great tasting---and just bought 9 boxes of crackery, snackery things for dd and pal to eat on their 2 day road trip back to school in the western u.s.--- and nuts

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Like williamsem, we're getting one very soon (maybe we live in the same place). In our market, TJ's is going head-to-head with one of Wegmans' flagship stores. They're even in the same plaza. Should be interesting...

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

Vanilla Joe-Joe's, simply addicting. candy cane joe-joe's, yummy!!!

shredded pork, premade, great for a quick sandwich
    frozen salmon
    animal crackers (organic) very good and not alot of sugar
    cinnamon graham crackers - nice and thick
    marinated pork tenderloin , peppercorn i think, always turns out moist and tender. cooks quick
    lite shredded 3 cheese blend
    cherry tomatos
    reduced sugar strawberry jam
    fiber granola bars, relatively new, kids love them
    their version of nutri-grain bars, very good
    dark chocolate covered ginger
    sea salt brownies
    3 layer hummus
    was buying nitrate-free bacon and hot dogs there, but BJ's now carries same brand for alot less

great nut and dried fruit selection

great store, great customer service, very friendly employees.

• sosouper
    11 years ago

Love Trader Joe's and I was there twice this week, so far.

My favorites:
    The light string cheese
    Fig Cereal Bars
    Frozen fully cooked edamame
    sourdough bread
    Kettle style popcorn (in the little bags)

One of my favoites blogs is: What is good at Trader Joe's? Here is the link: http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: What is good at Trader Joe's Blog

• finestra
    11 years ago

The freeze dried strawberries and golden pineapple. The nuts/trail mixes - love the wasabi one. And the just mango dried mango. Oh and chocolate covered ginger and the three ginger cookies.

• mjsee
    11 years ago

LOVE their Lemon Pepper and Everyday Spice grinders. also--their gluten-free pancakes. Best. gluten-free. pancakes. EVER. (It's a drag to be diagnosed with Celiac Disease at 50. Two years in...I'm dealing.)

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness-I think there have been 2 things I haven't liked there.
    This ________ walked into a bar--their version of nurtigrain bars-they have fig(taste like fig newtons), strawberry, blueberry and apple
    Almond vanilla cereal
    Ginger almond granola
    Their FULL FAT greek yogurt-strawberries and cream, honey or mango/apricot
    They carry a peach sparkling wine-get that, chill it and add some of their raspberry wine
    lemon pepper pasta
    lemon curd-then get their vanilla wafers to dip in it
    Frozen section
    Fruit floes
    creme brulee
    gnocci a la gorgonzola-I cook it with mushrooms and their baby broccoli-pair with a ceasar salad and dinner is served
    Organic jasmine rice-it is fluffier than the regular for some reason
    Sweet Potato Frites-BEST sweet potato fries ever
    BBQ teriyaki chicken
    Orange mandarin chicken
    Turkey meatballs
    Bean so green-a veggie mix with a yummy sauce
    Their mini pizzas
    Tempura birds nests, mushroom turnovers, and their mini hotdogs wrapped up in pastry are all great for parties
    Their frozen garlic Naan bread is yummy

Carrot cake cookies
    Maple Leaf Cookies
    Coconut thins I think they are called
    Joe Joes cookies

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I will need to try those ice cream sandwiches! I need to make a TJ's run since we are pretty much out of everything we buy there.

Appetizers:
    mini chicken tacos
    lemongrass chicken stix

Entrees and other things for entrees:
    Mandarin orange chicken
    Veggie spring rolls
    brown rice bag
    Mac and Cheese, the best creamy cheese
    Chili Lime Chicken burgers
    Organic Marinara
    fresh pasta/ravioli
    naan
    Israeli couscous

Bananas 19 cents/lb every day

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I love TJs....we don't get wine in grocery stores here so I've never had the $$ chuck...but would love to try it some time.

I've been addicted at various times to various things at TJs including their meringue cookies and their chocolate nonpareils. While their cookies are very tasty, I don't find any soft and chewy type. Great selection of chocolates from around the world....can use it like wine tasting.

We always shop there for crackers as their selection of whole grain and multi grain is the best. Love their edamame crackers. I also get my whole wheat english muffins there.

If any of you, like I, have certain issues, try their 100% cranberry juice. I put just a splash in a tall glass of seltzer and it is amazing. So different from the usual sugary water with some cranberry in it.

Lately I've been buying their grass fed beef and it is incredibly flavorful, besides not having any pink slime (bleccch).

But whenever I'm baking anything that calls for chocolate, I always buy their belgian chocolate. I make a chocolate lava cake using their dark pounder plus and it is A -MAZ -ING! I recently made Awesome Brownies using their chocolate as well. Excellent!

I also buy their lightly salted mixed nuts and get other nuts there for baking and eating.

But in our area, TJs prices their bananas by the "each" not "lb".

Once I bought one of their chicken sausages that was really good, but since then, i can't seem to buy the right one again....they have several.

I've been not happy with their frozen foods but based on your recommendations, will have to try some again. I typically don't eat any frozen prepared foods as I make my own.