SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Shelf stable lemon curd at the grocery. I have my doubts . . .

l pinkmountain
3 months ago

I love lemon curd and have made it but it is time consuming and I am the only one I know in my social circle who likes it, so I don't take the time to make it. Also, if I make it I have to eat it and it's not something I should finish off all by myself, due to my waistline. So I had an idea of serving lemon curd tartlets at a tea, and maybe buying the curd at the store.

Today I was at the store and they did indeed have jarred lemon curd on the shelf, not in the fridge section. The ingredients included cream, egg yolks and whole eggs. No preservatives. Vacuum sealed and of course refrigerate after opening. I was so skeptical. I know eggs and dairy products are the prime suspects in cases of lysteria or salmonella. I can't believe such products are a good idea.

Anyone know about food safety and processing that can explain it to me? Does pasteurization of the eggs and dairy take care of a lot of the dangers? Then the acid in the lemons and sugar takes care of the rest? I know there are no safe ways to home-can lemon curd but factories can pressure can under high temps. But doesn't that alter the curd?

It wasn't cheap so I am hesitant to just buy a jar to experiment. At some point maybe but I thought about asking here first, maybe some of you have experience with the store bought product.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz