SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Baked Ziti for New Year’s Day

chloebud
4 months ago

Just made the sauce for this version of baked pasta my family likes. The original recipe came from Allrecipes but I did some tweaking. I’m posting the original recipe at the end here. You need a fairly deep dish for this. The one I use is 9x13 and almost 3” deep. If you don’t have a deep dish, use less pasta (about 12 oz.) keeping the layers of it ”flatter.” This takes less time than it looks, especially if you make the sauce a couple days in advance.

Baked Ziti

2 jars marinara sauce (I use Rao’s, 22 oz. each)

1 lb. ground beef

1/2 lb. Italian sausage (mild or spicy)

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. dried basil

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)

Red wine to rinse out marinara jars

1 lb. ziti, rigatoni, penne or pasta of choice

6 oz. Provolone cheese, sliced

1 1/2 cups sour cream

8 oz. Mozzarella cheese (I use fresh and slice it; grated is also fine.)

About 1/2 cup-ish freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Brown ground beef and sausage in large pot (I use a potato masher to ”crumble” the meat.). Season with salt/pepper. Push meat to side and add onion. Cook for a few minutes, then add garlic, oregano, basil, pepper flakes. Cook for another minute.

Mix in marinara, rinsing both jars with about 1/4 cup each red wine (or water). Stir into sauce. Partially cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes.

Cook pasta about 1-2 minutes less than package directs. You want it just undercooked (very al dente). Drain.

To Assemble:

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 9x13 DEEP baking dish. Cover bottom of pan with thin/sparse layer of sauce. Layer as follows:

Half of pasta

All of Provolone

All of sour cream

Half of sauce

Sprinkle with Parmesan (to taste)

Rest of pasta

All of Mozzarella

Rest of sauce (should completely cover)

Top with Parmesan (to taste)

Cover/tent loosely with foil. Bake about 45-50 minutes or until bubbling.

Original recipe from Allrecipes…

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11758/baked-ziti-i/

Comments (3)