SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justin_nakhonthap

Need help with a warm, light neutral paint for a Spanish interior!

J.J.
7 months ago

The original color in my home is Millet by Frazee. The color is quite nice and appears as a tan-yellow throughout the day but occasionally reads as very custardy in certain lighting. Trying to get rid of that yellow, I looked towards popular neutral beiges and tans by Sherwin Williams. I went ahead and bought 5 gallons of SW Canvas Tan (not pictured) after looking at wonderful examples and when I painted a wall, it looked so gray and cold! Realizing my mistake, I went out and got some paint chips and sample sizes. River's Edge, Accessible Beige, and Kilim Beige. All of them appeared still darker and gray compared to Millet, despite color consultants claiming these colors to be "warm". I bit the bullet and ordered another 5 gallons of River's Edge and painted my den. Instant regret...you can see how the mat board of my framed pictures are super yellow compared to the wall. Additionally, the room feels dark and dingy. Because half of the house was already masked for paint and I just needed this to be done with, I ordered THREE gallons of Kilim Beige (since it apparently goes well with cherry woods and travertine tile) and it's so dark, heavy and comes off as a fleshy pink (like a makeup palette)! Took the L and just finished the job. You can see how Kilim Beige made my foyer very dim (it didn't seem this dark before) and how pink it is compared to the yellow Millet.
Before I spend more $$$ on paint, here's what I learned/realized...
1. I want a paint with an LRV between the mid 60s to lower 70s. Kilim Beige was just too dark and heavy for my foyer and North facing rooms. Millet has an LRV of 66 which I liked. A color that is bright enough for dark/small rooms.
2. Despite my hate for yellow. Orange-pink undertones look too peachy and clashed with a lot of my finishes and decor, mostly gold, antique brass, and oil rubbed bronze. I think I am okay with revisiting yellow undertones, as long as it isn't so strong like my original color.
3. My home is Spanish revival style, so I'm inspired by a softer neutral like the last two images. I'm afraid that beige/tans would eventually lead me back to that Olive Garden/Cheesecake Factory look, but I also don't want to go super stark white. My trim is SW Pure White so I'd like a color that can contrast well enough with it without blending in.

Comments (8)