SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_406107170

Dining Lighting Design Dilemma: Midcentury open plan, 12 foot ceilings

Julie
8 months ago

With 12 foot ceilings and an even more open plan than before reno, we are at a loss to decide on the fixture over our dining table. In our midcentury home a pulldown or counterweight light makes a lot of sense so that we don't have such an extremely long pendant cord creating a line in the very large Living/Dining Room open to the kitchen. We *are* putting other pendants (length to be decided) elsewhere in the one big room, still TBA and with coordinating heights and complementary looks. Most pulldowns won't offer the right heights (if they are even code compliant in the 21st century), the ones I like are some vintage ones that I'd have to get from Etsy from France and some locally on eBay. The coordination of the shapes and materials of the lights in all these rooms is a separate matter...but is also related. We do have midcentury furniture and will have natural maple cabinets and Alberene (dark gray) soapstone counters (probably some wood counters too), and a deep blue marmoleum floor in this one big room. First photo shows lighting fixtures as blue dots. One that is missing from the drawing is a recessed near the middle of the kitchen where we might at some point add a small/portable island. Second photo below is the type of vintage mid-century pulldown that is available locally, with variations.

This next photo is of a semi-flushmount (can be adapted as pendant, can be flushmount) from Modilumi's user review setion. I really like these fiberglass reproductions and they will be the source of at least some of our shades on this floor, but I'm not imagining it works over the dining table on a 12 foot ceiling! (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Modilumi?ref=l2-about-shopname&page=6#items).

Next is a mockup I made to add some Modilumi pendants into one of our architect's drawings (the floor, not the wall, will be the deeper blue color). I couldn't get the perspective right with my very basic photoshop skills, but in the foreground you see a dining table (ours isn't round) and that's where I'm grappling with the need for something lower, like a modified pulldown of some kind. The next thing you pass, as the crow flies, is what is essentially a counterheight dining/hanging out "peninsula," which has its own pendant over it (the lower one is supposed to be over that). Then, over the triangular part of the kitchen (see last image, layout), though this image doesn't quite convey it, we will have 2 pendants each, not identical but coordinated with the dining "peninsula." That part of the kitchen ceiling is sloped.

Advice as to adapting or finding pull-down lights or counterweight lights for over the dining table, or alternate choices to light the dining area, would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)