SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dippitydoppitydoo

Kitchen remodel 1960’s gut: open shelves, lighting dilemmas

dippitydoppitydoo
last year
last modified: last year

Hello all! Ideas, solutions needed! Im almost done with a major renovation in a 1960s gut job, opened up walls and updated floors, powder room and working on finishing the kitchen, pantry and particularly stuck on the open shelving.

Its a design dilemma I did not anticipate having in the corner because of an oversight of mine. The microwave cabinet is much deeper than what I have seen people normally do in the corner and the shelves would be about half the depth of the cabinet, unless I order that portion of shelves to be deeper, and im concerned that would be odd. Im considering no L shape as well and doing something like the houzz pic below, but would this work in my kitchen? Shelves would either be a soft white vs ebony vs charcoal and floating vs supported with corbels.

I’m having other doubts as well. The other dilemma is my hood, which I may have to let go because of budget for now, but thought it would look sooo sweet with a painted wood hood cover in soft white vs matching to cabinets. What do you think?

I cannot return the hood because its beyond the return date. Soo was thinking i could… down the line… get a custom hood cover to out over it….I would have to figure something out b/c buttons are on front of hood.

Current progress- waiting for PB cline counter stools in charcoal and hood duct cover is off.

Last, but not least lighting, artwork, and finishing touches!

Grey Shaker Kitchen with Cherry Open Shelves · More Info

Pendant lights:

Im not a huge fan of the lights I picked out above the island. Would some pendants that match my chandelier look better? Ghe same ones in milk glass? Ideas?

Living room light:

Ideas needed for flush mount lighting

My dining chandy:

Other progress pics, please ignore the mess and the dining area.

Comments (8)