SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_lou2

9 foot ceilings for 20x19 great room? Or lower in kitchen/dining only?

Em
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I’m having a really hard time deciding if I want 8 or 9 foot ceilings. My current house has 12 foot in the great room and I absolutely hate it. I like cozy intimate spaces though I’ve been in homes with ten foot ceilings that I don’t mind. However our bids came in way over budget so I’m looking to cut costs too. Our architect said we could also just lower them in the kitchen and dining. I kind of like that idea - what do you think of that approach to better define the spaces? It would save on cabinets and I can’t reach ten foot cabinets anyway. The great room is 20x19. Would 9 foot be too low there? I do not want to do any details to visually lower it so there will be no coffers or beams. I’ve posted similar questions before without the plan and browsed all of houzz, but since the high ceilings are the biggest pain point in my current home I’m really struggling with the decision. If anyone has pics of your own kitchen or great room with 9 foot ceilings please share along with dimensions too!

Comments (12)