SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

A dichotomy of climates and what foods we produce

plllog
8 months ago

Recent discussions have brought forth notions of how we think about food, influenced by our climates. What we grow at home, what we preserve or freeze, what requires refrigeration. I realized that more than all the shades and numbers of climates and micro climates, there are two gross categories, outside of the tropics and equatorial region (i.e., where most of us live): Places where the grass is green in the Summer, and places where the grass is green in the Winter.

I live in the latter--lawns are green in the Winter, go brown, at least at the edges and patches, in the Summer (green lawns in Summer look like socially iresponsible wasting of water)—have a year round herb garden and lemon tree, pomegranates, (ornamental) banana, hibiscus and no room for an avocado tree. Food goes in the fridge. When in doubt, put it in the fridge. Once opened, condiments, syrups, jams and pickles go in the fridge or will mold. Produce is always plentiful to buy, and there's no need to freeze or can unless you're growing your own (or doing it for fun).

What do you think? Does it work? Summer green vs. Winter green?

Comments (10)