My ACTUAL food produce box

Jasdip

Earlier this week I won a SMALL produce box from a local store who is using their store as a pick-up spot for fresh produce.

I picked it up today. Sooo much stuff. A 5-lb bag of potatoes, bag of Royal Gala apples, bag of grapes, 6 bananas, 5 beefsteak tomatoes, carrots, 7 pears, bag of oranges; English cucumber, pkg of romaine.......I'm thrilled!

This store does a lot for their customers, draws etc. I'm going to make a point of buying a box every so often.

SaveComment12Like11
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener

Lucky you!

Save    
plllog

Lovely bounty!

Save    
Jasdip

I just had an orange.....it's from Spain. It's so sweet! I wonder if Spanish oranges are sweeter? :-)

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Oooh, enjoy!!

Save    
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

What a nice assortment of produce! I'm glad you were the lucky winner. The fruit sounds especially good. And a lot of it will store well for awhile, too.

Save    
plllog

It could be that the particular version of orange is sweeter, but sweet usually comes from the right amount of rain and sun at the right time, and tree ripening helps. :)

Great to hear it's that good!

Save    
annie1992

Wow, what a nice haul you got there! It does look like it will last a while, nothing looks like it needs immediate attention. Enjoy it all!

Annie

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Now that's a lot! I'm eyeing those oranges and pears with friendly envy! I hope you'll share with us meals and prep for your haul! I'm very excited for you, jars : )

Save    
morz8

Yay! That looks great. I hope you really enjoy that produce as most of us would. Now, start eating ;0)

Save    
Jasdip

Hahaha! Don't worry, I'm eating!!! I just made a huge salad and added hard-boiled eggs and some tomato. Normally I don't care for tomatoes in salads, but I have them, so I did.

I had a pear, but they're still too hard. The grapes and oranges are so good!

I had just bought a 10-lb bag of Yukon Gold potatoes so I now have lots! The ones in my box are russets.

Save    
ritaweeda

We have a local farm/produce market who offers a $10 box 3 days a week. There are a lot of great things in it and it's plenty for 2 people and it's all fresh. The only downfall is that there are no substitutions. But if it doesn't suit you there's the option of just purchasing whatever you want in the normal way.

Save    
Feathers11

Jasdip, congratulations! That looks wonderful!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Yes, You Can Grow Food in a Shady Yard
Your shady garden doesn’t have to be forever barren. Berries, herbs and other shade-loving plants can produce a delicious bounty
Full Story
Kitchen Design How to Waste Less Food
Here are 9 relatively painless ways to throw away less food and stretch your grocery dollars
Full Story