SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Lovely Mom Update #2

jojoco
8 months ago

Your prayers and positive thoughts are working! Mom did a 30 min trial off the ventilator this morning with no sedatives or painkillers (other than tylenol). She passed with flying colors. Then they turned the ventilator to the lowest cPAP setting so that it just kept the airway open but all the breathing would have to be done by Mom. She stayed with that setting for four hours! No sedatives at all today. Tomorrow they will try the 30 min trial again and if that goes well, they may extubate her. Fingers crossed! When I was leaving, they had her back on a mild sedative and the vent so that she can rest well.

The neurologists were in today and I was like a lip-synching stage mama at a beauty pagent. I was watching every command from the hall and watching in horror as Mom stared at them but did nothing. Finally, I had to go in and tell them they need to talk into her left ear as the right one was damaged. She then rocked it! Raised her arms, legs, open/close eyes, etc. They don't impress easily but they looked ever-so pleased.

Mom is an accomplished pianist and my brother made a playlist for her. Her favorites are Chopin and Debussy. This afternoon, I was playing "Ballade No.3 in A Flat Major, Op. 47" by Chopin and she listened intently. I said "Do you play this piece?" and she nodded Win, win, win.

The plan now is to keep her on this path forward and get out of ICU. Our endgame is to find a rehab center in NYC that will focus on her brain and ot/PT. It will likely be long term at first. She still has a feeding tube through her nose because she hasn't been able to swallow yet. To be fair, it's been awhile since they tried the swallow test, but she just won't comply. Yet. It is more likely that she will get a stomach feeding peg until she can put some weight back on. It's not ideal, but in the big picture, it's small change. She will also be so happy to see the nose tube gone.

As for my dad, he's doing well. I make sure he is fed and rested and constantly among family. He is still very sharp, just forgetful. He is asking some darn good questions of the doctors. I am trying to get him to take a day off. Me too. We're both in dire need.

On an off topic, my creepy cabinet is dismantled and primed.

Thank you all for helping me through this.

xoxo

Jo

Comments (52)