SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Trip to Austin, follow-up, reviews

Lars
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

We got back to Los Angeles on Monday after four nights in Austin at a BnB. Much of the time was spent with family that we had not seen in over six years, and some of that was painful - none of it was enjoyable, but then we were there for a memorial.

The BnB was sort of a disappointment - the location was great - just a few blocks from our sister's house, but the condo was smaller than it looked in the photos (and a bit shabbier), and the one bed was rather uncomfortable - too hard and too small, being a double. My brother Kevin decided to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room, but there were no sheets for it - just a bunch of twin sheets that would fit the cot in the closet. All of the pillows were overly large and hard, and so I borrowed a pillow from my sister, along with sheets for the sofa bed. We also borrowed a chopping board, since there wasn't one at the condo. There also was no corkscrew or wine glasses, but Kevin had a corkscrew with him, and we bought some plastic wine glasses, so that we could have wine with the Brie that we bought at Central Market, where we bought groceries on the day we arrived.

Rental car reeked of cigarette smoke, and Kevin called Budget to complain about it. They said he could exchange it, but that ended up being more trouble than it would have been worth. The smell dissipated, and so it might have been very fresh.

The memorial service for our brother in law Jack was okay, but it lasted an hour, after which we went to a reception/dining hall where there was food, and we visited with relatives. I really did not want to see most of them, but it could have been worse. I actually liked some of Jack's granddaughters, even though I do not like any of his sons. The first son gave the worst eulogy, which was mostly about himself instead of his father, and everyone thought it was weird - even his daughters, who evidently do not like him. My brother Mike's wife Lynda was very annoying to talk with, and she keeps suggesting that she wants to come and visit Kevin and me, but we have never invited her and never will. We don't even like Mike, but he was much more pleasant than usual. Mike's son Dee appears to be at war with Mike and Lynda, and so that was unpleasant. We had allowed Dee seven years to buy the ancestral property that we had inherited that he wanted, and Lynda told us that it is now worth two or three times what he paid for it, but that is water under the bridge, and we wanted to keep the property in the family, as that was our father's wish. However, there is nothing to stop him from selling it and moving somewhere else. Mike owns an adjoining property/farm and now wants to sell that in order to get away from Dee, who is making unreasonable demands on Mike to take care of his cows and provide hay. Dee sold most of the hay that they had harvested and now does not have enough to feed his cows. And so it goes.

First day in Austin we had lunch at Pappadeaux, which is a chain but still very good - I think it started in Houston, and it has Cajun/Creole food that I like very much. I ordered a seafood platter so that I could have lots of leftovers, which I also like.

Second day we ate at the memorial service and then went back to the condo, which had two Roku TVs. We were able to watch Drag Race UK, Drag Race Italia, and Drag Race España on this, and I really liked season three of UK. There were Canadian and Australian versions, but they were not nearly as good as the European versions, and the Europeans were not nearly as good as the U.S. original. Anyway, we were able to binge watch these, since we do not have cable here anymore.

Third day we went shopping at Phoenicia Bakery and bought a lot of good deli food, but then we ended up going out with our sister for dinner at Chez Zee with our niece and her husband. This was nice, but resulted in our having even more leftovers to take with us. I had a Salade Niçoise, which the waitress pronounced "nee-SWAH" - odd for a restaurant called Chez Zee, but not odd for Austin. Anyway, I consider "Zee" to be a Dutch word.

I had wanted to go to Launderette, but it was considered to be too trendy and possibly too crowded, and so we did not go. We also did not go to the new Greek restaurant, which was booked months in advance. Neither did we have any BBQ, but I was fine with that - I've had plenty of that in my lifetime, and it is not one of my favorites.

The bathtub in the condo had a very slippery bottom, and there were no grab bars or anything non-slip to put in the tub when I took a shower. I almost fell down three times but was able to catch myself on the niches. The BnB owners asked me to give them a review, but I told them that it would not be good if I did, due to the slippery bathtub, which I considered an extreme hazard. What would you do?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus