SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyn10_gw

Cross-country road trip advise needed

cyn10
13 years ago

My husband and I will be taking our third cross-country road trip from Massachusetts to Tucson, AZ, starting the first week of October. We like to vary the route a little each time, and I'd like some advice about our route options from those of you familiar with the areas we'll pass through.

Option 1: Our primary plan is to go through upstate NY, then follow I-71 through COLUMBUS, OH, LOUISVILLE, KY, and NASHVILLE, TN, and then take I-65 through ALABAMA to PENSACOLA, FL. We'll visit family in Pensacola for a couple of days and then continue west on I-10 through HOUSTON to SAN ANTONIO, TX. From there we'll get off the interstate and follow US 90 until it rejoins I-10, travel through EL PASO, TX and LAS CRUCES, NM and finally end in Tucson.

Any suggestions for how to deviate from a particular interstate to avoid the worst of any potential traffic jams if we have to go through a major city during rush hour? I'm particularly concerned about the traffic through Birmingham, Montgomery, Houston and San Antonio. Has anyone traveled on US 90 in Texas, and, if so, what can we expect? My research shows there should be a few small towns with a lot of photo opportunities.

Knowing that October is still part of hurricane season, we have Option 2 as a backup plan in case a storm is expected in the Pensacola or Houston areas.

Option 2: This is a northern route generally following I-80 to IOWA CITY, then up to I-90 through SOUTH DAKOTA (we want to see the Badlands), down I-25 through WYOMING and COLORADO to ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO where we'll pick up I-40 to Arizona.

I know there are shorter routes than Option 2, but we have already taken them on past trips, and we want to see this part of the country. I realize weather varies from year to year, but if it is a typical fall, what kind of weather could we expect on the Option 2 route?.

It's great to be able to get ideas from people who live all over the country.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!