SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlakin24

Help choosing sectional color for open concept home

Abbey
9 months ago

Hello! We will be moving into our new home soon and I am having trouble deciding on what color sectional to get for our living room. I am worried that I will end up picking something that does not coordinate with my cabinet color (SW urbane bronze). The walls will remain SW Pure White.

I love the look of a white/light sofa but with 4 dogs it just not practical. Then I was considering a charcoal colored sofa but I have read that those show dirt easily too and with all of the different shades I feel like it could easily go wrong. I was wondering if this community had any suggestions on what color(s) would look nice and/or any suggestions on where to purchase a sectional. We are in a more rural area with limited access to designers I could hire to come to my home so I am trying my best to use the internet to research. I would say my style is contemporary, modern and/or transitional? Anyway thank you for anyone who took the time to read this!

Comments (52)

• Olychick
    9 months ago

I LOVE having a sectional. I find it really comfy and conducive to a cozy space. Mine is a curved Thomasville from 1995 that I recently had recovered in a light oatmeal crypton fabric, which is bombproof. I am not partial to an attached chaise as I think that limits arranging the sectional, but many people love theirs.

Your home is lovely and very neutral. I don't think you are limited to neutral colors for your furniture... think about what it would be like to live with some color - a color you LOVE. I happen to love everything blue or green; both would look great in your space. I love orange, many people do not. I especially love orange and blue or teal together, or mustard and blue. Crate and Barrel has nice modern sectionals and an infinite # of fabric choices. Good quality, mostly made in USA. I just select some for showing color possibilities; don't know what your requirements are for size or configuration. I think a cognac color would be beautiful, as would teal. White in a performance fabric would be lovely, too, then bring in color with art and rugs and pillows.

I

Abbey thanked Olychick
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Olychick , these are beautiful! I honestly had not thought about going with something more bold/colorful so thanks so much for posting these! I also love blue but had t even considered that as a sofa color. Crate and Barrel is definitely at the top of my list - I just miss how I used to live 15 minutes from the store compared to 1.5 hours now lol. I think I am going to have to start ordering some fabric swatches! Thanks again !

• Related Discussions

Help! Sectional sofa in front of windows dilemma

Q

Comments (29)
    What does the 4th wall in your room look like? Is it possible to rearrange things? Give it a quarter turn so that it is no longer in front of the windows. In other words, one section on the back wall and the other section would be where the TV / console currently set. The TV could then be on that (unseen) 4th wall. I also think the TV is mounted too high.
    ...See More

Art with sectional sofa and transom windows

Q

Comments (13)
    just a few ideas that I'd suggest. a plant in the corner where that little bench is. I posted two diff types, either would work. I gave you a side table w/a lamp on the other end. I like the idea of a pouf in this camel color to warm things up a bit, or do a stool or two placed in front of fireplace. I also like these shelves between the two windows. ( I don't know what furry dog is going to do with these,,,maybe have the toddler stand on his back?? lol. hang them well out of reach and they'll be fine. I'd put a few small plants on them. This will eat up that middle space) You could also take these teak decking tiles and attach a plant/pot onto it, and hang two of these between the transom windows. if you want a bench, do something like this in the wood. all of those neutral gray tones make everything seem very cool. add some wood and some texture to warm it up a bit. over the back of sofa do a cool piece of art don't hang them too high. (your tv is hung too high btw. ) and a rug for the sofa area A jute one would work too for the dining area, you could also do this jute rug like shown. for the wall, I'd do another piece of sizable art to hang on that one wall. This one has a larger wall, but look at the black and white picture. basically the same size of yours. you want something this big. Or, do a shallow buffet or console w/a mirror over it and some greenery, like shown here.
    ...See More

Help! Sectional or Two Sofas in Open / Odd Family Room

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree that furniture needs to move closer to the fireplace/TV. I guess the problem I’m Having is the French doors. They are not being removed, they are staying where they are. So, considering sizes of loveseats and even sectionals. I will be blocking those doors. what is the rule about blocking the French doors? We do use them sometimes. The living room is on the other side and then it gets a lot of use these days with everyone being home.
    ...See More

LR - New Home - Sectional or sofa and chairs? Help!

Q

Comments (15)
    What do you currently own and choose to sit on? Do you like to lay down while watching TV? Do you want to have your feet up? How many people normally sit in the room? How many when you have guests? Do you want to cuddle with someone? Do you have difficulty getting up from a seated position? Do you do sewing, crafts or puzzles while watching TV? Choosing furniture that is going to function well for the way you live requires knowledge about how you will use the room and your personal preferences. Size also matters. My mom was 5'2" and my dad was 6'4". They never liked the same seating. Recliners are probably the most frowned upon option per designers, but many people love the comfort. Some also need to put their feet up. Many don't like a chaise lounge, but my sister and her husband have a sofa with a chaise and use it every day - her laying across the sofa and him on the chaise. They have 2 chairs but choose the chaise sofa. I love my sectional, but that is what works for me in my space. Only you can define this.
    ...See More
  • HU-227031627
    9 months ago

Your idea of charcoal would look great and hides dirt.

Abbey thanked HU-227031627
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hi Jan, thanks for the input. I agree scale is the first step. I spent a few hours earlier this week and recreating my floor plan with an interior design software. The software also had individual sectional pieces that I could change the dimensions to fit one of the crate and barrel or cb2 sectionals. I think I was able to make it work leaving plenty of clearance between the island, a proper distance from the TV and enough room to access the sliding back door. I will post what I came up with but it’s a very rough draft as I am not a professional.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 months ago

How about a nice taupe leather . I have white leather and 3 huge dogs on 145 Lbs they rarely go on the sofas I think they don'yt think they are allowed . They have no problem going on the leather in the media room and I just put a blanket on the seat cushion there to make my life easier.. BTW I really dislkke sectionals but that is just me

Abbey thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • marmiegard_z7b
    9 months ago

How do people manage fabric-upholstered furniture ( excluding washable slipcovers) that is used by both dogs and people, unless you used doggie covers , or quilts in designated pup chair or sofa corner? I have experienced the family pup sleeping in the grandkids ‘ beds— adorable , but thank goodness bedding can be laundered fairly easily and whenever it “ seems” to need it. So even performance upholstery fabric that can be “ shampooed “ or something would seem hard to maintain.

Leather upholstery seems better for pups, but can be less cozy for humans. (Even the dog gravitates to the throw blanket. )

Abbey thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks Patricia! Leather is a great suggestion- again not sure why I didn’t consider it before lol! Taupe leather would probably look good in this space.

• marmiegard_z7b
    9 months ago

I agree that from the photos, the background colors read “ cool” ( not cold or depressing though!) so I’d be getting samples in that direction. Hence taupe, or earth tones in their cooler iterations, or any color in the slightly cooler versions, for main pieces, v—not so much yellow or golds or orangey reds, except, judicious use of some warmer accents for balance. If that makes any sense! Mainly be sure any big items work with your floors.

Abbey thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

FORGET the color and fabric or leather.....UNTIL......

You go back, make a scaled hand drawn picture on graph paper using the dimension we can't read on your floor plan.

You don't need the "program", you need a ruler and 1/4 " to one foot graph paler and a darn pencil.

We can't read the dimensions on the floor plan.

If you must have a sectional, see below and below that, what NOT to do

Here is the BIG issue with sectionals:

You are paying for each and every piece to be fully upholstered, regardless the size of each component.

That ups the amount of material, framing and to some degree? It's no different than five or six chairs! they just happen to all connect!

Once connected? You're usually limited in the number of ways you can turn or configure. Therefore? Do NOT buy one, that with a lone piece removed, will leave you armless on one end. Don't buy a chaise configuration, for the reasons I stated and drew above.

Now...... when you get to leather? You will find the cost 2.5 times higher, you can flip any cushions. That is because leather must breathe and it is covering ONE side only, no flip.

In other words ? Four pups on the couch and cuddling is a personal decision and a costly one as well, for ANYTHING that will hold up, or look good for more than a year. The best route in any sectional is custom, and ninety percent of all available with a click of a mouse, will be less than perfect. Two same size everything sofas, plus a chair a chair would afford a lot more flexibility AND in the end cost less.

In general · More Info

if still stuck on it?? Go to a anywhere that you can sit and customize /skip the chaise: )

Abbey thanked JAN MOYER
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@JAN MOYER Thank you for the drawing and tips. They are extremely helpful. I'm not sure why the original floorplan I posted was so hard to read. I have uploaded a new one that is hopefully clearer for reference. If we were to nix the sectional, would you mind sharing what pieces/arrangement you would recommend? I do like the idea of two sofas as I would love to have a nice big chair I could take a nap in lol.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

If you try to zoom that? The feet and inches blur.

Take a CLOSE UP !!!! of the great room fire/island section of your builder plan.

The space is not as big as you think : )

• Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Is this better? I know the space isn’t the biggest.

• chispa
    9 months ago

That sectional you drew in will take up a lot of space, but only seat 3 people if you have guests. We had an L-shaped sectional in our previous house that was custom sized to the room it was in and it could seat 6 people comfortably with the rounded corner seat left empty.

In the new house I reused some of my furniture, but chose to get rid of the sectional. Just not as flexible as a mix of sofas and chairs.

Now, if you really want to lounge then you might want to look at reclining sofas. Not the puffy kind, but the more modern streamlined ones. My DH wanted one for his media/bonus room and this is what we ended up buying after trying out several at local furniture stores.

https://www.braccisofas.com/collections/power-motion-sofas-sectionals/

We got the Smart Sofa, because of the narrow arms and streamlined look.

We got ours in their performance leather/suede in a light beige-taupe color.

Abbey thanked chispa
  • deegw
    9 months ago

A lightly patterned sofa like a small herringbone or tweed will help hide spills and dog hair better than a solid one.

FWIW, you don't have to keep replying to people who are shouting about their technology issues. It's not your problem.

Abbey thanked deegw
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

More versatile.......... from accurate dimensions

If you lose table and lamp and STILL want a sectional? You want both sides 114 x 114 and no chaise

• Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Chispa wow! that is the best looking recliner I have ever seen! That is a really good point that the sectional I drew would not be the most comfortable for seating multiple guests. Although we don't entertain very often, I do want my home to be very comfortable for visitors. Thanks you for the response!

• Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@deegw I like the idea of a pattern!!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 months ago

I have back issues and short legs. If I am a guest at a home where the only available seats are on the sectional, I’ll grab an end spot next to an armrest. If that’s not available, I will ask if I can bring a dining room/kitchen chair in to sit on.

Abbey thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

FWIW?? Who's shouting about tech issues? Feet and inches matter, no matter what you buy. So you don't end up back here in "weepyville". Lordy : )

It takes a lot of money to guess and goof.

With the same pieces here?

You can reverse, you can put two chairs with their backs to the island and put both couches perpendicular to tv....Basically, three ways to arrange. with the advantage that not ALL folks are comfortable in the same seating ala a sectional.

Abbey thanked JAN MOYER
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago
    Abbey thanked mytwo cents
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

So if I was choosing furniture for that space I would actually go for naturals with texture, thinking dried wheat, rough bark, old rope and I would accent with sky blue and aluminum. Maybe an occasional high gloss modern white accent piece to link with your pendants and backplash.

• elcieg
    9 months ago

Consider choosing an arrangement where the sectional has the back to the kitchen. Then you can use the solid wall for t v or what ever.

As for fabric: nothing, IMO, compares to Kashmira. I encourage my clients to consider it and all have been thrilled at how it has maintained its immaculate look over the years. Kashmira has a rainbow of colors, one of which is white.

.Kashmira is an exclusive fabric by Flex Steel that is created through years of research and development. It is a suede fabric that needs a framework like that of leather. It is different and unique from regular fabrics. The durability of Kashmira is unmatched.The fabric is made from a mix of acrylic, nylon, rayon, and cotton. It is 100% spill-proof and does not stain easily. The pet and childproof material comes with a 5-year warranty. It is the most popular choice amongst customers for its durability, stain resistance, and aesthetic appeal.

Here is a white sectional (not Kashmira) with Urbane Bronze.

Here is a link to find a Flex Steel dealer. Hope one is near enough to you so you can see Kashmira. I like it on the Digby line.

https://www.flexsteel.com/find-flexsteel.inc

Abbey thanked elcieg
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

I'd want to look at that kitchen, not a TV, and have guests to talk with while I cook.

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Juju hats for the wall until you find the exact art work you want

• elcieg
    9 months ago

@mytwo cents, you want an audience when you cook? Or, you want to be the guest and talk to the chef? Confused about your orientation.

No problem here, because @Abbey has a great countertop island with seating for four.

Harbor View · More Info

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago
  • elcieg
    9 months ago

Let's keep in mind @Abbey's dilemma:

I was wondering if this community had any suggestions on what color(s) would look nice and/or any suggestions on where to purchase a sectional. We are in a more rural area with limited access to designers..

Sectional being the operative word.

Too soon to choose a rug, and wall decor when seating has not be chosen.

Abbey thanked elcieg
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

I think people should share with Abbey what they think would look nice in her room. She's bright enough I'm sure to edit out what she doesn't find helpful

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

@elcieg

I can see you're confused -- about hosting too. Maybe just retire from the conversation.

• Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@mytwo cents now that is a fun fabric! Might be a little too far out of my comfort zone though haha but that is exactly the shape/style I am wanting to go with. I will have to order some swatches of darker natural tones like you mentioned.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I'm willing to take all the suggestions/ideas/advice I can get! The last time we made a huge furniture purchase was when we lived in the suburbs of Indianapolis. There was this great local furniture store that had unique pieces and reasonable prices. They came out to my home, took measurements, got an idea of my style and then called us to come to the store 4 hours later to show us what they picked out. I loved everything and ended up purchasing 3 console tables, an end table, huge piece of art, two swivel chairs, 4 dining room chairs and two rugs. It all coordinated great! We kept most of the pieces and gave some away before we moved down to Florida. Unfortunately, there are not any stores near us now that provide this type of service so its all on me. Our last home had a contemporary/boho/eclectic vibe but I am leaning more towards contemporary/modern organic for the new home.

• Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@elcieg I forgot all about Flexsteel so thank you for mentioning that brand. I remember doing some light research on it before purchasing our last sectional (we gave it away before moving from IN to FL). I will have to look into it again. I love both of the photos you shared with the white/light sofas. They look so gorgeous but I know it is not a smart idea for us lol. Thanks again!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    9 months ago

We have a charcoal kind of coloured sectional and two camel chairs with it. I find the fabric and colour great. I can add colours to it or leave it be. Our space is also about 20x20 so you can see how ours is laid out in terms of walk about spaces etc

Abbey thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@WestCoast thank you for sharing the photos! That is very helpful! Your room looks amazing and your pup is adorable!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    9 months ago

Thank you! I have a better room photo somewhere but I can’t find it on my phone so Dog Star it is lol

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Go for the two sofa idea. I have a sectional and it definitely is limited when we have company. I disconnected the chaise and it is in a corner, so that wasn’t a great idea either.

Go for a fun color, whether you do one sofa or two. The blue from chispa is lovely! Green works in a neutral setting like yours as well.

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Some ideas with color: greens first

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Blue, or pink?

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

This living room is pretty.

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Here’s another pretty room.

• thinkdesignlive
    9 months ago

I love that last image Red just posted - those colors look great with Urbane Bronze

• elcieg
    9 months ago

@Abbey, I'm a fan of Flexsteel. but I'm really trying to get you to look into the Kashmira fabric. You can have white...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVs9HMp8nKE

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

"They came out to my home, took measurements ................."

Yes.... for a reason.

No sectional on planet earth lets you do this:

THREE ways. Same stuff.

Remember, ottomans count as great pull up SEATS as well as a place for your own tootsies.

Maybe you both want a recliner??

• K Laurence
    9 months ago

You might want to consider doing what I did for a room similar to yours ( mine might be larger, idk ). I purchased two sofas in different lengths, the longer one facing the TV ( I think it’s 92”, & a shorter one (76”?) perpendicular? to it. Both the same very forgiving fabric , ”Ink”, kind of a charcoal blue, Room & Board ”Andre” sofa, may not be your style but they have other choices. Room setup almost identical to Jan’s 3d drawing.

Abbey thanked K Laurence
  • thinkdesignlive
    9 months ago

Is there an outlet in the floor placed correctly for table lamps? If not, I'd suggest room for a console table with a table lamp and maybe sconces on either side of the TV. Rooms that only rely on overhead light can feel harsh. I know it's not sofa related but it may be furniture related which can effect the sofa(s) decision.

Abbey thanked thinkdesignlive
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    9 months ago

The sectional debate is always very divided on this board. I get it. We are a family of five and our sectional which also has a chaise is perfect for us to all lounge on when movie watching. With guests we have ample room when we include the two chairs. For major holidays we are often adding 10+ more people so extra chairs are always needed anyway. But for our day to day comfort I’ve never once regretted the sectional. And our stinky beast of a golden dog also loves it.

Abbey thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • chispa
    9 months ago

Can you give your general FL location?

I've lived close to several major cities before, so it does seem like furniture shopping options are limited in FL ... but it isn't necessarily true. You just need to know where to look!

I'm also in FL. One lady near me has a very small furniture store and is a designer. She can source anything that you would find in a big city.

There is also a company that has several design showrooms throughout FL. Sure, not as impressive as the design centers in LA, Chicago, Boston or NYC, but they have enough floor samples that you can get to sit on many brands and look at their fabric samples.

Abbey thanked chispa
  • RedRyder
    9 months ago

I’m hoping you can sit on a couch before buying it. Any time I’ve bought one I probably sat on a dozen to make sure the one I thought I wanted it passed the “tush test”.

Abbey thanked RedRyder
  • Abbey
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@chispa we are currently in Ocala but the new home is in Williston (Levy County). I would love to hear any store recommendations you might have. We went into a few of the big box type stores and were not impressed.

• chispa
    9 months ago

@Abbey, unfortunately all the places I know are much further south. If you are looking for something more custom, I would suggest you check out this company https://interiorstrading.com/home with showrooms in Orlando and Jacksonville.

They are "To the trade" , but many showrooms like this will have an in house designer or some designers they will recommend. Someone that can help on an hourly basis and assist in getting you some of the major pieces you want. Usually they are happy to let a retail customer look around and take photos of furniture/fabrics/etc that catch your eye, but won't lend out samples or give prices.