SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdcrane58

Issues with quality of certain details in bathroom renovation

claybakin247
9 months ago

My contractor will be here in the morning to finish up this renovation. I was gone all afternoon and when I returned I did not have an opportunity to look closely at todays work until after he left for the day. My issues:

(1) I had the kneewall caps custom made by Onyx Company to match the solid surface floorpan. Because it took me nearly 2 yrs to get a contractor to actually show up, the caps remained unopened, still in their packaging. I assumed they would be finished smooth on all edges. They are not, only the top edge is smooth. Now, this isn’t my contractors fault, however he installed them like that while I was away from home or I would have rejected them or at least asked the bottom edge be sanded smooth before installing.

(2) He told me the other day that the cap would need to be installed flush (on the same vertical plane) as the interior of the shower, so that the custom glass enclosure would sit flush with the tile and the inside edge of the cap. This is not what he has done.

(3) He has wrapped the painted WOOD trim under the cap around the kneewall and onto the shower side.

(4) Where the cap meets the back tiled wall it does not look ”finished”. I had meant to confirm that he would cut out the cap there, around the pencil tile, to result in a neat, finished installation. I’m very upset that I did not remember to make sure he would do this. But it seems to me than any good trim carpenter wouldn’t have to be directed on these things.

Now, any comments or advice on how these issues might be rectified would be very much appreciated.

Comments (19)