SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What do you call white chocolate “brownies”?

plllog
10 months ago

Last week I made our favorite thing from overripe bananas, which the original recipe calls ”banana brownies”. I've tried calling them ”bannies”, but it hasn't caught on, and while they're more like brownies than like bar cookies, they're bright yellow, and dense. This time, the bananas were far gone down the sugar path, and I thought they'd taste too sweet. I was just going to drop the sugar, when I bethought me of the truism that sugar is part of the liquid, so I put in some not so sweet orange juice instead. That was a big success! The little bit of sweet from the juice was nice (with all the sugar from the bananas and white chocolate), along with just a whiff of bitterness, though, I think another egg might have been an improvement. Still don't know what to call them.

That reminded me that I never made the similar recipe for rhubarb ”brownies” (“rubies”? ”rhubbies”?). https://www.slumberandscones.com/fudgy-white-chocolate-rhubarb-blondies/

I had been thinking about adapting the banana brownies, when I found this, called ”blondie”, which also isn't quite right. It also read too sweet. Right off, I nixed the white chocolate on top. This recipe has more eggs and more chocolate than the banana recipe. Fair enough. The latter could use another egg, and people love sweet with rhubarb. I don't want that much sweet. It tastes good, on first bite, but then it's just too much for me. OTOH, while I used about half the quarter cup of sugar, not worrying about the moisture difference from 2 Tbsp, and given the three eggs, I had misread/misremembered, the amount. It was supposed to be 3/4 c, not 1/4 c.! Well, guess what?

They're awesome! Just got a little dry on the bottom (that's at 40 min. of the 45-50 called for plus truly missing the moisture from the missing sugar). The browning is nice, though. I think they're probably denser than they're supposed to be, too, but as is they're delightful! The body is almost custardy, with the white chocolate subbing for the cream. Oh, and instead of folding in the rhubarb (because I lost track of what I was doing and poured the batter in the dish without it), and needing more top decor, anyway, since I nixed the extra chips, I just spread the rhubarb on top and kind of pushed it down with my fork.

These are SO good! But what to call them?

Comments (10)