SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

My my my my my paella!

l pinkmountain
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Esoteric late 70s pop music reference . . . hint, "The Knack."

So a couple of days ago I was bemoaning that I had bits and bobs of food needing to be used up in the fridge but not enough of anything to make a complete dish. Then John Liu's paella post came to mind. Normally I don't make paella because it is more of a meat eater's dish and also I rarely have the right kind of rice, but yesterday I had the perfect combination . . . I used a recipe from Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything Vegetarian" except I added meat. Didn't do it over an open fire. Been there, done that, have the t-shirts, (Literally, I used to run a wilderness outpost and teach open fire cooking for a camp and I have a collection of t-shirts from my summers there). Not feeling the need to revisit those days. Plus we are in a drought here in MI and are under wild fire warnings so no go. Instead, I followed the recipe for making it in the oven.

I am a brown rice fan, so instead of using Valencia rice, which is the paella rice, I used short grain brown rice, which I had and love. I followed Mr. Bittman's advice that it could be parboiled. I then finished the dish in my braising pan that is fairly similar to a paella pan, at least similar enough for me to not get another pan to store in my tiny kitchen. The bits of meat were one boneless chicken breast, 1.5 spicy Italian vegetarian sausages, and a cup of shrimp. The vegetables were onion, green pepper and a handful of kale for color and tomato, both fresh and sundried. Spices were garlic, saffron and smoked Spanish paprika and dried parsley. Plus I put some Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning on the chicken as it was frying. 2 TBLSP of tomato paste browned a bit. The veggies and chicken and sausage sauteed in EVOO. Then add the parboiled rice and sundried and fresh tomatoes and shrimp. Cover with tomato soaking water mixed with rice water and some added chicken broth to make two cups. (Recipe called for 3.5 but that seemed like too much.) Bake covered at 450 for 30 min.

It was still soupy at that point so I evaporated more water out of it by cooking it on the stovetop with the top off for 10 min. Here's the finished photo. It was good, a little too tomato heavy due to me going overboard with the sundrieds, but they tasted good. No soccarat, even though the pan had browned bits on the bottom when I put it all in the oven. Nice consistency to the rice though.

Comments (15)