Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Seriously??? Lazy cook story

12 hours ago

I read a news story today about a single mother with two small kiddies who claims she has been served with an eviction notice because in the year since she first moved into her rented house, the oven has not worked and the owner refuses to replace it. Apparently the first time she turned on the oven, smoke billowed out and an electrician sent after much pestering of the landlord confirmed that it was a safety hazard and would need to be replaced as it was so old, parts were no longer available. Since then, despite more approaches to the landlord, nothing has been done. Now it would seem the landlord doesn't want to be bothered by her complaints, so he has served an eviction notice.

I totally agree that the renter has the right to have a functioning oven, and that it is unreasonable (and actually illegal) to evict a tenant for insisting on their rights as a tenant.

But what I would like to give this woman a stern talking to about is her claim that, due to not having an oven, she has had to spend "thousands" of dollars on Uber Eats to feed her children. Really?? Ovenless people all over the world still manage to feed their families without resorting to Uber Eats. In Vietnam we were served a multi-dish banquet with enough food to feed at least eight people by a lady whose "stove" was a hole in the floor about the size of a coffee can, burning charcoal briquetttes.

If she was working full time (I have no idea if she is working or not), she could still cook perfectly adequate meals on a stove top or using commonly available appliances. I get that with small children, bundling them up to go get take away food yourself may not be an option, especially if she doesn't have a car.

Even if all she is feeding her children are fish fingers and oven fries/chips (not the best alternative), she could have accomplished that with an air fryer or a convection microwave, both of which would cost a fraction of what she claims she has spent on Uber Eats. The only time I resorted to such a meal was when DD was in primary school and had netball practice one afternoon a week, which meant we would get home at dinner time. Before we went I would put fish fingers and oven chips on trays in a low oven, so we would have dinner ready to go when we got home. If I hadn't been able to do this we would have had Heinz Big Red tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have never had Uber Eats- we don't have it in my town and even when we are in the city, if we're having fast food we would rather pick up the food ourselves and have it arrive home still hot.

Comments (3)