SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

What i lost this year…

Both of my Beautyberries (Callicarpa) succombed and I have no idea why. Everybody knows what we dealt with this year (mild winter but wildly swinging temps, bizarre freeze after last freeze date, abnormal warmth in early spring BEFORE the freeze, and on and on and on). I don’t know which was to blame, but this comes out of the blue. Each year I had to trim a few nonperforming branches, but it certainly wasn’t on its way out.

Most, if not all, of us lost forsythia blooms. Add to that 98% of blooms from early azaleas/rhodies. My beloved PW produced less than 10 flowers between about 6 or 7 plants. My Cherry Cheesecake (below) didn’t bloom, but being honest, it hasn’t bloomed since I planted it. It is finicky and does not like any winter challenges even though it’s in a highly protected spot. I’ll give it five more years, I guess, because I’m a saint.

And last, and most painful, my huge Japanese Maple is clearly heading to the great beyond. It’s quite old, but ten years ago half of it broke off within a week of us moving in. In fact, it mighten have broken off while we were signing closing documents, who knows. Like an anti-welcoming gift. Since then the bark has started peeling at the base so I knew it wasn’t in the greatest shape, and last year I had a dead branch that, for the first time, made no leaves. But this year there are a total of maybe 100 leaves scattered all over this 20-30 foot tall tree and that’s it. I can’t imagine it surviving this winter. Sayonara.

P.S. I’m not including the azalea our neighborhood’s new horrendous plowman killed. It was a banner year for plow devastation throughout the whole neighborhood.

Comments (10)