SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I lost a friend that I met online years ago.

IdaClaire
12 years ago

I met her in a large public forum, and then a group of us who really bonded there formed a small private forum, where we went on a near-daily basis to check in with one another, to chat, to share the ups and downs of our lives. Most of us have been able to meet "in real life", so the internet friendships blossomed into face-to-face get-togethers. I've known these folks for at least 12 years. We've seen each other through marriages, divorces, babies being born and growing into teenagers, career changes, relocations, deaths in our families ... and I just learned today that one of our group passed away last night. I'm stunned and reeling - although, to be honest, I can't say that her death was entirely unexpected, as she'd been struggling with physical and mental health issues in recent months. Still, the thought of her dead and gone? I cannot wrap my mind around it.

She was younger than me, single, and she adored her animals. She had the sweetest spirit and always made an extra effort to show kindness and compassion to others. She's the one who told me about cleaning out her hairbrushes and putting the hair outside for birds to use for nest-building material. Little gestures like that really mattered to her.

The world is one kind soul shorter tonight. And it breaks my heart. How do you cope with the sudden death of a friend? Have any of you experienced something similar?

Comments (14)