SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_851495043

Lawn advice for construction debris soil

BSA Dad
11 months ago

We moved in a year ago one of the last brownstones rowhouses (converted to condominiums) and surrounded by tall buildings in downtown Washington DC along a busy boulevard. Our condo association’s goal is to make our yard look like an oasis among the concrete and brick sidewalks.

One problem we are having is that the developer essentially threw down sod over construction debris laden and compacted soil.

i know this from having dug out the flower beds by 3” to replace the bad soil with top soil. As a result the flower beds are thriving.

i wish the same could be said about the lawn. we have seen marginal improvements in the yard due to apply ”weed and feed” as well as using a hand aerator. (”When i put my foot on the aerator and shift my weight on it I can hear the crunch of hitting gravel/debris about 1-2” down.)

As we are in the rainy season with abnormally mild temperatures we have aerated the lawn twice thus far with favorable results …but feel like we are in a losing battle given soil conditions.

Taking the sod up and removing the top layer of soil would be cost (and effort) prohibitive.

Looking for suggestions as to how to amend the soil with grass still is place?

Is it possible to apply a thin layer of top soil on top of the grass …and have it grow through it? This hopefully would have the effect of layering soil on top of the debris/rocks …

Open to any ideas as we do not have much experience with this.

Help!

Comment (1)