SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_967529078

Debris under lawn - yellow spot

Laurence Teixeira
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

hi guys,

My Bermuda has always had these specific 2/3 spots that seem to get really thirsty before any other area, and I usually have to give them additional spot watering. They recover and green up very quickly after this watering.

I went on vacation for a week so no watering was performed (only have manuals above ground sprinklers) and on return both these spots have gone completely brown and dormant. The rest of the yard is fine. I live in NC and it has been 3 weeks with no rain and over 95° temps. The soil is hard clay.

My house and yard is only 2 years old, so I got out my long screwdriver and drill, stabbed and drilled a few holes yesterday but can’t get any deeper than about 2 inches in these dead spots - so obviously there is some debris (prob from construction) underneath which isn’t letting the grass root properly. I had my lawn aerated last year but decided to give it a miss this year. Wrong decision Maybe.

I water deeply to an inch weekly, and have been watering these spots for 30 mins over the last few nights. Hopefully this will help it come out of dormancy, but I realise I’m going to have to dig up these spots and remove the debris. So I backfill with existing soil or add new material/topsoil, or a mixture of both? When should I do this? Fall? Or can I start now (summer?). Any other advise is much appreciated!

Comments (4)