SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Construction debris and builders sand

Liz
10 years ago

Last year I decided to start fixing up my backyard, which was pretty much of a mess. We had built a new addition several years back, and I discovered when I tried to put in a new lawn this year that there was a layer of cement underneath the topsoil.(Fortunately, this is only in one small area of the yard, apparently about 15 x 5'.) To be precise, there is about a 2 inch layer of topsoil, I half-inch of your builders sand, and a 1/2 inch sheet of cement. There is no rubble, just a solid sheet of cement. It breaks apart easily enough and I have been hauling out small pieces of it by hand. i am planning on taking out all the cement, but it is difficult to get it out without mixing the builders sand in with the topsoil. Should I try to remove the mixed topsoil and sand, or simply leave it in place and add additional topsoil? I don't think there's anything toxic about it. I just noticed that the grass in that area looked very thin and poor, and I decided to investigate. No wonder! Hard to expect any plant to do well under those conditions!

Comments (11)