SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcol88

Custom built vs Wolf Cabinet

Marie
last year

Hi everyone. I have gotten lots of good advice on my last posts so I am hoping to pick your brains on the next step: choosing my cabinet maker. My long story short question is… is $15k worth the coveted “local custom cabinet maker” kitchen? Or would I be just as happy with Wolf cabinets?

We’ve gotten quotes from 3 places, one out of running. My final two are:

Local business (a “kitchen center”) who uses Wolf Classic cabinets. ~$23k including installation (no countertops). I have not yet seen wolf cabinets in person but have an appointment at the end of the month. Reviews are mixed on Wolf.

Local business here in my town that builds the cabinets themselves, fully custom in their factory here in town. ~$38k including installation (no countertops). Their work is beautiful, I have seen their showroom, but obviously more expensive than Wolf. All signs point to us being very happy with their product.

Now I’m aware that cheapest is not always better, but that more expensive is not always better either.

I have done lots of internet research which tells me anywhere from 25k to 50k is in the norm for my area/size of house etc.

What I’m looking for really is your thoughts. We can “afford” whatever we want (that does NOT mean we have unlimited budget, ha I wish, I really mean we can convince ourselves that $38k is worth the money, we can keep saving to afford the higher prices, or we can convince ourselves that the $15k difference can better be used elsewhere and that Wolf cabs are good enough because cabinets are cabinets). My husband is leaving it up to me because he trusts my judgement but I am very nervous to make this kind of decision. He says get what you want because it’s an investment and we are never moving. Good problem to have but also very stressful. It’s the most expensive decision I have ever made besides having kids haha.

I know this is a hot topic, and I don’t want to get into a heated debate, or to discount anyone’s choices who went with a cheaper option or a more expensive option.

I’m really just curious about your experiences/advice/regrets/suggestions. It seems like I always see comments on posts about cabinet brands suggesting the “local cabinet maker.” But cabinets are cabinets right? Does it REALLY matter?

Comments (19)