SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Frameless Cabinets: Ultracraft vs Innermost vs Dewils vs Custom

vdinli
10 years ago

I am fairly sure I am going to be using frameless cabinet in a shaker style in stained wood. I am trying to narrow down my cabinet choices and could use your help in deciding if the upgrades are worth the price difference. For a very similar design on a 8'X11' kitchen, Ultracraft is the cheapest and custom the most expensive.
Ultracraft is 5/8" furniture board sides, Innermost is 3/4" furniture board, Dewils is 5/8" Plywood and the custom guy is 3/4" Plywood. All except DeWils are Glue+Dowel construction. All drawers are dovetailed with full extension undermount softclose glides. Ultracraft is only a 1/4" plywood bottom whereas the others are atleast 5/8" if not 3/4". The finish on Ultracraft is catalyzed varnish whereas others just say varnished/oven cured.
So basically, it looks like Ultracraft is a little bit skimpier on the construction. But is that a problem? I know Plywood is not worth the upgrade except for the sink base. I am worried about the drawer base not being sturdy enough especially for my pots and pans drawer. Even if I upgrade the glides, will the drawer bottoms give out? However, the finish on the Ultracraft is likely superior.
GC prefers Ultracraft as he can order it through his KD and get us a discount. He wants us to stay clear of the Innermost from HD but that is probably because he has had issues dealing with HD. But, I like the HD KD that we used-he was the most on the ball and worked hard to come up with options for me to consider.
I like each of the cabinets for a different reason- DeWils lets me choose any wood for the same price but I am leery because of a couple of reviews on GW. The custom guy's display was gorgeous-I could do Slab doors for about the same price as Innermost but Shaker doors are about 4K more. Of course, being custom I can fit in a few more inches into the design. I still have to confirm his procedure for staining etc. While the price isn't the major decisive factor, I would also like to save $$ where ever possible so I can spend more on the other stuff.
How does one decide?? Any opinions appreciated!

Comments (12)