Opinion on those “Swedish Dish Cloths” ?
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (27)
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
does anyone still handwash their dishes
Comments (35)vacuumfreak, sounds like you have a great system working for you. I always find it helpful to run some hot water in the sink while I'm cooking. Not a full sink but some and any utensils I'm using can start to soak immediately. This helps me keep up with the dishes. I really have a problem with washing dishes immediately after a meal. I like to be able to enjoy the meal, relax, maybe have dessert later and not rush into doing the dishes. I like to have them soak and that way they're ready to quickly swish, rinse and dry in the rack. BTW, for the one who gets a flavor from the Direct Foam, I'm sure you're just not rinsing them right. Or you're using too much soap. I've always found Dawn & Joy to be the best for rinsing off easily. Sunlite is pretty good. Generics are the worst, Palmolive is pretty bad. Water makes a difference. Find what works best for you. A couple tips: It's a good idea to give brushes, sponges, etc an occasional bleach soaking to kill off the crud. I like having a small, cheap flexible plastic putty knife handy for cleaning things on the counter or on dishes. BTW, I'm not sure the advantage of having a dishpan in the sink. I just put less water in the sink. If you have only one sink, of course it's a benefit, but I don't understand the need. I have the drainer out of the sink. Have thought about leaving it in there and rinsing, but I often have more dishes so it would pile up over so I have the drain tray divert the water to the sink and use one sink for washing and the other for rinsing. Sometimes plug the sink to hold the water for rinsing. But if there's a lot, then you have to change the water or you'll leave soap on the dishes and get the taste. Don't want that! :)...See MoreDo you rinse dishes before loading dishwasher ??
Comments (76)Would you draw a bathtub full of water, and let all the family member's use the same water? Its the same thing putting dishes in the dishwasher without rinsing them off. Your washing all your dishes in dirty water.... But according to the posts I've read their are a number of factors that contribute to the discussion. It wastes water by rinsing dishes... Well is the water turned on full blast or just at a trickle? The food on the dishes actually helps the detergent work better... Really? Thats like jumping into a mud pit, going inside and taking a shower while trying to lather up with the mud still on you? Does the soap work better? One post read that the dishes sit in the dishwasher for awhile before the dishwasher is ran. So a response was to use the prerinse. Isn't this the same thing as rinsing before they go into the dishwasher? By not prerinsing, food can and will clog into the sprayer jets, eventually. Most people don't know what their hot water heater is set at, and it usually takes a minimum of 125 to start to break down food, and 160 degrees to dissolve food. Not to mention that your dishwasher is usually filled with cold water because the of the draw from the water pipes doesn't heat up in time to get the hot water to the dishwasher. So, in turn if your dishwasher has a heating element, it heats up the water, which is counter productive of the whole reasoning not to rinse your dishes. How many people use the dryer selection to dry their dishes? Or do you just open up the dishwasher and let the dishes air dry? If you use the dryer selection on the dishwasher, You are using as much, if not more, energy then my prerinsing the dishes..... But from what I read, if you aren't using the correct detergent then you've lost the game. Well, if the dishwasher is doing its job, then it shouldn't matter on what kind of detergent you use? Moral of the story, rinse your dishes, check the temp of your hot water heater, prime the hot water before running your dishwasher, let your dishes air dry and you will actually save more energy....See MoreWhat pattern is your every day dishes?
Comments (70)I have Franciscan Ivy pattern and I would like to find solid cream dishes to use with. Most I see are white, which I like but cream would go with the Franciscan. It is the same background color as the Apple and Desert Rose patterns. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make sure that whatever I get doesn't get silverware marks like my Fiesta does! It drives me nuts, and barkeepers friend did not get rid of them. I don't use them much because they look unappetizing. I don't need mugs, as I have 12 creamy ironstone mugs that my daughter bought from a local restaurant. I also have set of Liberty Blue that I never use, plus my Minton china in Stanwood pattern which is discontinued....See MoreFavorite dish towels, trivets and oven mitts
Comments (26)dedtired, I know just the place you mean. What a treasure trove of oddball stuff that place has. My collection of dish towels were all hand-me-downs and gifts. A linen calendar from 1977 (which my Mum bought for me in 1995,at her church sale, because it was the year of my HS graduation), towels from places other family members have visited, a few won at Bunco games. I haven't found a dish washing cloth yet that I like. It seems like every few years I buy a new bunch from wherever, and then as they get grungy I start throwing them out until I need to go buy another pack. I have yet to find the perfect potholder. I will be investigating some of the suggestions here. Often I use a folded up dish towel. I have a mitt but it seems like the thumb always ends up getting stuck in the food because of the way I grab the dish, so I prefer the folded dish towel method....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Sweetness and Light in a Swedish Family Home
Generous doses of white make a bright background for energetic wallpaper patterns, splashes of bright color and playful accessories
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSDesigners Dish on Their Top Materials for Kitchen Countertops
Find out which countertop materials and styles these pros are favoring in their kitchen designs
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNPet-Friendly Design: Making Room for the Dog Dish
In a dog’s life, you eat on the floor. Except in kitchens like these, where pets are factored into the design
Full Story
LIFE9 Bedroom Decisions Bound to Divide Opinion
How many of these sleep-space design dilemmas have you and your partner had to resolve?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNYour Kitchen: Where to Stash the Dish Towels
Solve the Dish Towel Dilemma With 13 Ways to Keep Them Handy and Dry
Full Story
LIFESurprising Ways to Pare Down at Home
All those household items you take for granted? You might not need them after all. These lists can help you decide
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Clean a Glass Shower Door
See which tools and methods will keep those glass shower walls and doors sparkling clean
Full Story
THE HARDWORKING HOMEWhere to Put the Laundry Room
The Hardworking Home: We weigh the pros and cons of washing your clothes in the basement, kitchen, bathroom and more
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Clean Your Washing Machine
Cleaning your washer once a month will ensure that it stays spick-and-span along with your clothes
Full Story
THE HARDWORKING HOMEClever Ways to Rethink the Linen Closet
The Hardworking Home: Get rid of those toppling piles with these ideas for organizing bedding, towels and more
Full Story





bpath