SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaguinness

Advice needed on keeping vs removing collar ties

Melissa Guinness
last year
last modified: last year

I recently removed the low beadboard ceiling in the kitchen of my summer cottage. I wasn't expecting the collar ties to be so random in size. One runs the full width of the room, 3 are spliced together and one falls just a wee bit short and has a notch cut out of it! It looks like they just used whatever was on hand! The house was built in 1904 and I think this portion of the kitchen which includes an adjacent breakfast room and laundry room where added later. I'm looking for advice from a professional as I haven't been able to find anyone available in my are to come have a look. I hope I can remove them or if I have to keep them, replace them with uniform beams.

PS This has been a solo (me) DIY project. This is what happens when my husband leaves for 3 days to go to a regatta with our son! Also, don't freak out about the cloth covered electrical wires. I do have an electrician coming to update them :-)

This photo shows the vaulted ceiling next to the low ceiling in the adjacent breakfast room. I intend to remove that ceiling too after this one is finished.

One of 3 sistered collar ties.

This collar tie falls short

Ceiling before removal

The roof from the exterior. The breakfast room and kitchen are in the yellow area. Breakfast room on the left, kitchen on the right.

Comments (15)