SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawn_hobby

Advice needed on best TTTF Cultivars and Spring vs Fall overseed

Lawn_Hobby
12 years ago

I always had an interest, but I'm new to being a full-blown lawn hobbyist, and I'm having a lot of fun and it's pretty addictive. I started learning out of necessity; our lawn was almost entirely decimated by tree cutting work, leveled, and then we reseeded last fall. The old lawn was mostly a mixture of fine fescue and various types of KBG, with the odd clump of K-31 in random places. Thankfully the winter was mild, so the new grass has done pretty well. There is, however, a lot still to be done.

The old lawn didn't fair too well. It needed a crazy amount of water in the summer, and even so, the fine fescue would just shrivel up and turn brown in the hottest weeks. It also matted down when mowing. I have no idea how we got so much fine fescue over time...perhaps it was an aggressive type. It had basically taken over everything.

But the fine fescue is history now, thankfully. We reseeded from scratch (it was all dirt after the tree work) with mostly turf type Perennial Rye last fall. (We did have some soil brought in for the front yard.)

I am going to have to over seed this year, but am unsure whether I should try in the Spring, or just wait until late summer/early fall. (Especially since we're going to put pre-emergent crab grass control down next season).

And now that we have no more trees, I need grass that will stand up to heat/drought without watering every day. I know the Ryegrass is supposed to like sun, but I've also heard it can dry out in the summer. I want to over seed the sunniest areas with a turf type tall fescue and bluegrass blend that is suitable for my area. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. TTTF that can withstand heat/drought

2. Absolute finest texture possible in a TTTF (some seem pretty coarse compared to bluegrass; I'd like one with a blade width and texture that looks the most like bluegrass)

3. Preferably some spreading ability in the TTTF

Regarding #2 above: Is there any TTTF that has a blade width equal to or finer than unimproved, generic bluegrass? What about with a more pronounced midrib and with less of the saw tooth edge of K-31 and older turf type cultivars? because, let's face it, the old TTTF was just a mini K-31.

And in my bluegrass, I want:

1. Heat tolerance and traffic tolerance

2. Not as aggressive; donâÂÂt want it to kill off the rye and fescue, but it should still be able to recover well. IâÂÂd prefer upright growth to lateral growth though.

3. Blade width and texture not so important (it has to mix aesthetically well with the coarser TTTF, so I don't need or want elite cultivars with super fine blades).

Ideally, I'd find TTTF and Kentucky bluegrass that have the same blade width and nearly the same texture.

I know it's a lot...but I greatly appreciate any answers!

Comments (106)