SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiemco

Tall fescue renovation/overseed (with lots of pics)

tiemco
14 years ago

After my lousy spring TTTF spot renovations I decided to overseed and renovate the whole front yard. Most of the good grass in the pics was planted last fall. Here are some pics of what it looked like in early August:

This is a general pic taken from across the street after it was mowed at about 3 inches.

{{gwi:117198}}

Here are some closer shots. You can see that along the street there is a fair amount of crabgrass.

{{gwi:117200}}

{{gwi:117203}}

Here is one of the areas of spring seeded TTTF that got taken out by brown patch.

{{gwi:117205}}

More of the same here.

{{gwi:117210}}

Here is the old grass as you look towards the street. It was a mix of fine fescue, poa triv, weed and misc. grasses. You can see the border of the good TTTF and the old lawn. The area next to the street was another area of spring seeded tall fescue. It was much better looking, but still had areas of dead grass, as well as thin unhealthy grass.

{{gwi:117212}}

More of the same as you look towards the driveway. This older section wasn't too visible from the street, but it sure bothered me.

{{gwi:117215}}

So I glyphosated everything I didn't like. Here are the shots about a week after that:

{{gwi:117217}}

{{gwi:117222}}

{{gwi:117224}}

For some reason I really like how this looks, I guess it reminds me of a golf course.

{{gwi:117226}}

So I scalped the dead sections, power raked, and core aerated the whole lawn. While I made only one overlapping pass on the nice areas, I made multiple passes on the areas I killed off as well as the brown patch areas. I didn't take any pics of this, but I am sure you can imagine what it looked like. I put down some nice compost on the bare areas, and I manually raked the good grass I had left to remove/breakup the cores and remove dead grass. I then overseeded the good grass, and seeded the bare areas. I used a mix containing 40% Firecracker LS, 30% Faith, and 30% Cochise IV. I topdressed (by hand) with a mix of topsoil and peat moss until I couldn't see the seed. It was a very thin layer, probably 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It took me three days to seed the lawn and top dress since it was midweek. The first day was 9/14. Basically I did a third of the lawn every day for three days. I neglected to take pics of that as well. Again it looked basically the same as the glyphosated pics but instead of light brown the areas were dark, almost black. These pics were taken yesterday. It gives a good idea of how it looked after seeding, but of course you can see the seedlings in 2/3rds of the lawn, the last third will probably pop today.

Here's a shot from the street. You can see the progression of seedlings from right to left, as I seeded the area near the driveway first.

{{gwi:117229}}

{{gwi:117230}}

Here's the brown patch area. Notice that the phone company removed the old pole (there were two in the previous pics). I laid down some plywood boards for them, thank god that they told me they were coming on Monday, or else they would have ruined a lot of hard work. If it was one week later they would have trampled a lot of young grass. I really dodged a bullet there.

{{gwi:117231}}

You can see the seedlings, gotta blow off those leaves tonight.

{{gwi:117232}}

Here is a part that was seeded last, 9/17. You can see the line of the seedlings from the 9/16 seeding.

{{gwi:117234}}

{{gwi:117235}}

Here is that narrow patch by the street. This area gets the most sun and heat from the street, so it's no surprise that these seedlings are the greenest and tallest.

{{gwi:117237}}

So far everything looks good. In hindsight I wish I planted about a week earlier, but I had too much going on at that time, and also I needed to wait out some rainy days. There are two large hickory trees that attract many squirrels that love to tear up all my hard work. My squirrel trapping last year and this year has kept their damage to a minimum (don't worry, they are humanely trapped and let go in an open space woods area). The weather is perfect, seventies in the day, fifties at night, hope it lasts for a month. I will probably update with pics every week or so. I also did a backyard renovation using poa trivialis, which will probably be posted sometime soon. Enjoy.

Comments (43)