SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akrug_gw

tttf, kbg, or prg. which best to overseed all fine fescue lawn

akrug
13 years ago

Hi, I'm having a bit of dilemma trying to figure out what would be the best mixture to overseed my all fine fescue lawn. It consists of mixture of hard (Chariot, Heron), creeping red (Jasper II, Navigator, Shoreline ), chewing (Longfellow II), and a sheep's fescue. With much TLC it has gotten somewhat established, but I am still having some difficulty in certain areas. Two months ago it looked pretty good across most of the lawn but recently some spots have taken a turn for the worse. It's hard to say what exactly happened, but based on some research on the web I believe that it was leaf spot with some melting out taking place. It could be a that plus a combination of foot traffic, and a lower mowing setting that I used recently.

Needless to say, it is a little disheartening to see dead spots and weak growth in areas after spending much time and money to get the lawn established. I will probably overseed in the fall and my question has to do with what type of blend/cultivars do you think would combine best with the fine fescue that is already established. I am hoping that whatever I add will be able to stand up to the foot traffic of 3 small children, possible sprinkler use in the summer by the children, and stuff like kicking a ball around and playing outside. I would also hope that it has some ability to repair itself.

My research is leading me in several different directions as to what is best. Some of the areas are modestly shady (under some maple trees) while a large portion of it is in full sun for 8+ hours. I'm wondering if anyone could offer their opinion or advice on the differences between using a turf type tall fescue or perennial rye for additional hardiness along with Kentucky Bluegrass and maybe additional fine fescues and what percentages of each you would use. I am not sure if the TTTF or PRG would be a better addition for my existing lawn or if you would even bother with them at all and instead go with 100% KBG for overseeding. I figured TTTF or PRG would make some sense since it appears that they would add a degree of hardiness to the lawn that the fine fescues don't have, but they are bunch grasses and neither will spread to repair. KBG seems like it would make a decent addition but may not have the hardiness of TTTF or PRG but has the ability to repair itself. As far as fine fescues go, I already have the entire lawn comprised of them, so I don't think adding any new cultivars would do me much good.

I can't really seem to find much difference in the capabilities and characterstics in TTTF and PRG. I would prefer to have a lawn that has minimal maintenance requirements but also doesn't have to be overseeded every year. TTTF seems to have a benefit with drought resistance but then it doesn't seem to have the drought tolerance of some of the other grasses and could go dormant and die rather quickly versus PRG and KBG.

One of my big concerns is seeding with something that is not going to look good or work well with the fine fescue. A good portion of the fine fescue came in very thick and looks okay but there are still some thin/empty spots around. I've read some things online that certain grasses don't look very good when mixed with fine fescue.

I don't have an inground sprinkler system but I do have garden hoses and sprinklers set up on timers. I may put in an inground system at some point in the future.

Thanks for reading!

Comments (3)