SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiemco

Growing Poa trivialis, on purpose!!!! (Lots of pics)

tiemco
14 years ago

So this spring I decided to do something about the backyard. Basically it was a mix of moss, poa annua, poa triv, some clover, some fine fescue and spotted lady thumb. Due to a huge maple tree, the house, and other tall trees, the backyard sees about 4 hours of sun total, from 8:00 to 12:00, and only within about a 1500 sq. foot area, with most areas seeing less than 4 hours. What I did this spring was remove all living growth with a thatch rake, till and regrade the soil, and plant a mixture of fine fescues. Unfortunately lots of spring rain flooded the area, and germination was very low. I reseeded, but again was hit hard with rain. These pics show the pathetic state of the backyard in the summer.

{{gwi:118828}}

{{gwi:118829}}

{{gwi:118830}}

{{gwi:118832}}

Looks pretty bad right? The pics are actually worse than it looks. When the grass is sparse like it was the camera must overexpose the shot in order to compensate for the dark soil. Anyway I decide to reseed this fall, but I didn't want to go the fine fescue route after seeing a mostly fine fescue lawn this summer, plus it might be too shady in some areas for it. So I did some research and I determined the only grass option would be Poa trivialis. Now I know people shudder at the two terrible poas (annua being the other one) but in a monostand poa triv is very nice, can be cut relatively short, and is a spreading grass. It is also used to overseed bermuda greens in southern golf course in the fall and winter, how bad can it be? So I glyphosated everything alive in the backyard rectangle. Core aerated the area until it looked like a bombing range, raked it all smooth, rolled it, seeded it, rolled it again, top dressed with a topsoil/peatmoss mix, and then kept it moist. Here are the pics of that, it was 9/17.

{{gwi:118833}}

{{gwi:118834}}

{{gwi:118835}}

{{gwi:118836}}

Pretty boring I know. Here's what the seeds look like, they are tiny. It was a 50:50 mix of Sabre III and Darkhorse.

{{gwi:118837}}

So these pics were taken today (9/28) eleven days after seeding. Again, the lawn looks better than the pics, but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like. On some angles you will see a lot of small divots and holes with areas of no seedlings. This is due to a herd of deer that decided it would be funny to not just walk across the area, but play a game of touch football.

{{gwi:118838}}

{{gwi:118839}}

{{gwi:118840}}

Here's the above shot but on a lower angle:

{{gwi:118841}}

{{gwi:118842}}

Again, a low angle shot of the above pic:

{{gwi:118843}}

Here's a closeup of the seedlings with my hand in there for scale:

{{gwi:118844}}

I am pretty happy with how things are going. When I was working with the seed and seeding I felt like I was using radioactive material, didn't want to get any seeds in the front yard, even used different shoes for the backyard. I will keep the post updated with weekly pics. Tomorrow I will update my front yard progress (Tall fescue renovation/overseed (with lots of pics)).

Comments (21)