SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael1022

Preparing lawn for fall overseed?

michael1022
11 years ago

Ok so we bought a new house and the 13000 sf lawn was in bad shape. Weeds all over, especially Dandilions, clover, plantain, oxalis, wild violets and chickweed. So in preperation to fixing the lawn i used a tow behind thatcher and bagged all the dead stuff. I have put down Scotts fertalizer with halts to prvent crabgrass on April 15th, since then i pulled up at least 300 dandilions with a special tool to extract the whole taproot. Had about 80% sucsess getting the whole taproot. Anyways as of now i have them under control. I also seeded bare patches with seed, topsoil, and starter fert on May 15th. As of now the grass filled in. Then i put down pesticide from Spectacide Triazicide to control some tics and grubs. Ive also put down Scotts fertalizer with weed stop on Memorial day. The grass has come up green so far with all this labor. Ive also used my 2 gallon tank sprayer and have been killing off the clover/chickweed/oxalis/and wild violets. Ive sprayed twice and i gotta say the clover is going byebye, the chickweeds look yellow and sick and the violets may need another spray. I doubled the dosage to make sure these die before summer drought.

I have to put down some grubex this week so it can work before the eggs hatch in late July and August. I did sharpen the mower blades mowed high and have been bagging all the clippings. I also sent a soil sample to UMass to see what i need for lime or organincs. I should get the results back sometime next week.

So the questions are:

Should i aerate and dethatch Aug 15th?

What kinda seed is good for Massachusetts? (really don't now what kinda grass is there now)

When do i fert again?

Do i need to cover the seed or can i just water and hope for the best?

Once the new grass comes up if there are new weeds can i spray?

Sorry for the long post. Also i am a new member and would like to say i'm pleased to be one.

I will post pics of the lawn soon then post the after product when the time comes.

Thank you,

Michael

Comments (35)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!