SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting

skeip
9 years ago

Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety Yellow Multiplier as well as Kelly Winterton's Green Mountain and a collection of unnamed "culls" that I got from him. Fall of 2013 I planted half of everything the same time I planted my garlic's, well mulched with chopped leaves, and saved the other half for Spring planting. These were stored on trays in my unheated garage, temp never drops below freezing, usually around 40 degrees.

Unusually long and cold winter, but with better than average snow cover. In spring everything that I planted came up on time, garlic's were almost 100% survival. The Spring planted bulbs went in on Memorial day weekend. Very wet and cool growing season in general means lots of weeds and going out between rainstorms to try to keep them under control.

The upshot. The spring planted patch got taken over by dill and numerous weeds, and I had all but given them up. After clearing out all the weeds, the onions had done quite well for themselves, producing nice sized nests of better than average sized onions, especially the Green Mountains. A few of the Culls I intend to keep a little better eye on next year as they showed some promising traits. The old Yellow Multiplier did predictably well, good increase, but no exceptional size. The Fall planted bed had an issue with thistles in which I tried to keep pulled and under control, but as soon as the thistles were gone the bindweed kicked in!! In general the nests were not as big, and the individual onions not as large. Curiously, all of the Fall planted varieties put up flower stalks, which I did not get around to cutting off, so that may have impacted production as well.

Both plantings matured about the same time, mid to late July, same as the fall-planted garlic. I will repeat the same plantings again this coming growing season and see if the results are any different. At first trial, the spring planted bulbs were the winners.

Steve

Comments (6)

Sponsored