SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluegreen13

Advice Needed: Speed Queen vs Miele

bluegreen13
7 years ago

Hello!

I have been lurking for awhile on the laundry forum and am now seeking the infinite wisdom of this forum! I am renovating a laundry room in a second home and I have room for 2 sets of washer/dryers. I have 3 children and an elderly dog. The laundry room will see huge amounts of use during the summer (endless beach towels, sheets etc) but it will slow down during the rest of the year.

My fantasy washer is tough enough to handle large loads of towels, gets hot enough to deal with sheets from sick children/incontinent dog but won't destroy my vintage hand embroidered sheets that are on my own bed. It also doesn't need a lot of maintenance.

I have always had FLs(city apartments) and am not adverse to the way they clean however the mold/mildew issue drives me insane. We consistently leave the washer door open after each wash however rarely do we remember to wipe out the gasket(there is a lot going on). I loathe keeping bleach around however I have started running a machine clean cycle with bleach about once a month—this seems to help. Feels a little high maintenance. Additionally, our Electrolux FL(barely 4 years old) doesn"t seem to hold up well to how much we use it—the door latch has already been replaced and the push button for the liquid dispenser often gets stuck(we clean it once a month). The "chrome" sticker on the knob is flaking off.

So here is what i am considering:

A TL Speed Queen—seems amazing, my mother in law is obsessed with hers. If I understand correctly though, there is no onboard heater. Will it get hot enough clean sheets from a sick kid? My other concern is that the agitator will be too rough on the "good" sheets. Am I silly to be concerned about this?

Miele Little Giant—Seems to have the most loyal following after Speed Queens! I like their construction and appreciate the ability to program lots of settings. I am concerned about capacity and washing larger items like quilts etc. They are expensive and you still have the FL issue.

I would love some advice, I have gone through and looked up many old threads but to be honest, I ended up more confused and conflicted than before.

I there something else I should consider instead? Extremely grateful for all of your thoughts!

Comments (104)