SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrjohnsmall

Which washing machine? Fisher Paykal vs. speed queen vs. new GE

mrjohnsmall
8 years ago

Hello, all you terrific experts out there!

I was searching for reviews of washing machines, and found this forum. I am so glad to find that I'm not the only nut that misses washing machines that use water- my friends think I'm crazy with my laundry obsessiveness.

I have lived in a rental for about 6 years. We bought a house and are renovating, and it is finally time to buy a washing machine again. Over the course of the past several years, I've had TLs that filled with very hot water, and one FL. The FL smelled even though I always left the door open, and didn't get clothes clean, in addition to shredding the towels and sheets. But that isn't to condemn all FLs; I just think the landlord picked a bad one, and I don't remember the brand.

I was hoping that I could post my wish list for my dream washer and see what you all would recommend for me. I know I can't have everything, but here is what I'd like:

1. I would like to be able to choose HOT water. Sanitize or allergen would be good. We have a tankless water heater.

Does this mean I need an onboard heater?

2. I would love to be able to choose between HE and a full tub of water. I don't really get my clothing dirty, but my husband does. With actual dirt. And sweat.

3. I traditionally wash my sweaters on delicate. I have done so for years. Both wool and cashmere. Never ruined one until that FL. I need to be able to do this.

4. I would prefer to be able to open the lid. That would have to be TL, but not even all TLs can be opened once started. Sometimes I would like to dye clothes in the washer.

5. We do not have 240V. I will find out this weekend if that can be changed, but I doubt it.

6. Do I need a lint filter?

It seems like I should choose a Fisher Paykel or a Speed Queen, but I can't get a handle on which one. And now it seems like the GE GTW485ASJ might be a contender, but I hate to be the first to buy any new product. And it is being released, I think, tomorrow.

Now the really awful news: I live in California. However, we will use the water for grey watering.

What do you folks advise me?

Thanks!

Claudia

Comments (9)