SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malbec916

Are Sherwin Williams and Sherwin HGTV colors interchangeable?

Malbec
last year

I got a gallon of sherwin Williams showcase paint in the color “alpaca” from Lowes at the end of April. I liked the color and paint. We decided we want to paint some other walls with the same color, so I took the same paint chip card that I used last time, to the same store, and got another gallon.

Yes, I know that best practice is to buy it all at once and mix the gallons to ensure the color is consistent. I didn’t know that I’d want to use more than 1 gallon at the time.

So, I got home and started with the new gallon, but it looks much pinker than the previous paint. I mixed a ton, poured and re-poured and mixed, but it’s still not a match. Looking at the lids from the old and new gallons, the color code labels are different. It looks like the original gallon from 4/29/2022 is HGSW2467, but the one I got today is SW7022. One also mentions an ultra white base. I’ve heard base can change the tint.

I know Sherwin has the alpaca color in both collections but does anyone know if they are they different colors or just different numbers for the same color? I was expecting to get the same one considering I used the same paint chip card, and it’s a “HGTV” color which is a Lowes thing.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this so I can understand if it’s just my mistake for not buying it all at the same time and mixing the gallons together for consistency, or if the store actually gave me the wrong color. Attaching pictures of the lids and the paint chip card I used both times.

Comments (3)