SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmm123

Seeking Color Suggestions: Refreshing My White Brick Home

michaelmm123
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

hi!!

I recently bought a house and I’m at a crossroads about how to proceed with its exterior makeover. The house currently features a whitewashed brick exterior, where the mortar retains a distinct color from the bricks. While I appreciate the unique look, the overall effect can sometimes appear blotchy or dirty.

Additionally, the cedar siding on the house is showing signs of deterioration and will require some patching and painting. I'm contemplating whether to repaint both the brick and the cedar siding or just the cedar. We've recently replaced the front steps, which unfortunately don’t match the rest of the house’s brickwork perfectly.

In a test patch, I used Romabio Avario White on the brick, which ended up covering the mortar, making the house lose its authentic brick appearance. I’m struggling to decide what looks best.

As part of the renovations, I am planning to install a portico. I’m considering designing it with a copper hip roof to add elegance and style. This addition is part of a broader vision to possibly extend the roof at the peak forward, incorporating a ladder-style soffit. Right now the center of the house looks flat while the right wnd left of the center have q latter style sofit in place. There are options to either paint, leave, or cover the upper brickwork, but covering it may mean replacing the aging cedar on the sides as well because finding matching cedar for the center that doesn't have a very different texture becuase it's not as old might turn into a problem. I'm not sure yet.

I'm also thinking about removing the existing shutters to streamline the façade. The current paint has a yellowish tint which can sometimes appear outdated or dirty, particularly since my house faces north and doesn’t receive much sunlight on the front.

Below are some images of the house as it stands, with the new stairs, and some inspiration from other houses featuring hip roofs and ladder-style soffits.

I would greatly appreciate any color suggestions or advice on these exterior changes. What would you do in my situation?

Thank you for your help fellow Houzzers!

additional house pictures (bedore steps redone and after)

Comments (16)